Wanted: your input on a 41 Plymouth Pick up

Hi all,

I would of put this in the plymouth forum but I was not sure how fast it will get answered so I am going to post here instead. I stumbled across a 41 Plymouth pick up truck and wanted to know what your thoughts are and what it might be worth. The truck is pretty much rot free and has been in a barn since 1970. It has a six with a 3 on the floor. The motor turns by hand but the current owner has not tried to fire it up. All the brakes are free and the shifter is as well. It has the cowl parking lights so it is a 41. I do not know the millage but it is definatly all stock and complete minus the rear bumper and hub caps. the current owner was gonna rod it but does not have time. Also he said most of the class is cracked. I would want to restore it. I attached a photo.

Thanks for your input

IT

post-50925-143137924634_thumb.jpg

This looks like a nice start, IT. I had a '41 Plymouth sedan (first old car, in around 1978) and while not the fanciest vehicle, I thought it was mechanically a pretty decent set up all around. If you are new to Mopars of this vintage don't bust a stud trying to remove the wheels - they thread the opposite way on these vehicles, I am sure the truck is the same! The flathead six was pretty well built, and mine ran smooth with a lot of miles. Not sure if this would be your first project but parts should be no problem, and you seem to describe a complete unaltered vehicle with no rust - an ideal project car. Not too fancy interior and not a lot of chrome work to be done on these, but they are getting very popular.

Also, "Thank You" for looking to restore this - another reason I think this is a find is a lot of people would want to cut this up. Hope you pursue it!

Thanks for the kind wourds. I am not new to mopars but new to vehicals of this vintage. I have some experance with 6 volt systems and such. My history teacher in high school owned a 47 studibaker that hedrove daily year round. We got to work on it in auto shop class which was a true joy. As far as hot rods go, I already have a rodded 84 chevy C10 with a 400 sb. It is a blast but I would not dream of rodding an unmolested classic like this plymouth. what would you think to be a fair price for this one? There is an attached pic in the first message. I get sick of hot rods and street rods of this era. Seems like every one has a ford coupe that is done up. I think it is much more fun to drive and restore a original. I have never restored a vehical before but have done and am in the prosses of doing a few tractors. I think it would be an enjoyable project for my father and I.

thanks again

Ian T

There is a '39 that is for sale locally - $6,500 supposed to be a very nice truck, but unrestored. Has been offered in HMN a couple of times, so I am thinking that is high to start with. Can't tell from the picture but the body should drive cost a lot - not just rust free, but since this is a truck, just how straight is it? Maybe $3,000 range to start? Generally better to get an idea of what the seller thinks most of the time IMO. (This truck is bringing back memories - my '41 was bought for something like $400 and probably spent less than $1,000 in total, including four WWW 650-16s from Sears & green plaid seatcovers bought at Hershey for I think $15. This was a budget "restoration" done by a teen, those days are long gone...)

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the input. Your estimate is right around what he is asking. Well he is asking more but he is willing to go down. The truck looks nice but it is impossible to tell with out seeing it in person. I am going to try to see if we can look at it on saturday morning but there is supposedly another buyer that wants to come at that time too. It is almost a 2 hr drive from our house one way. We have driven farther to look at so called"great orignal cars" and been very angery apon arriving there and seeing a complete rusty bucket not worth saving. Not that it is that far but with the cost of gas and all. Owner told me the only rot was on a 1 inch section on the lower fender near the grill and a quarter size spot near the mounting for the front fender. He welded in new metal on both of these.

Thanks again

and if you can give me any tips or things to look for it would be great!

Ian T