shock fluid level

Guest 1930

Hello I am told to use hydraulic jack oil in the shocks of my DA Dodge but do not know up to what level to fill these. Also any ideas on what the large nut is for on the bottom portion of the shock, there appears to be some sort of valve behind that?. Thanks for any and all replys...Jason Anderson

Not sure what model shock you have, I have a PDF doc showing the shocks. The document came from of a French site so the text is in french, but there are pictures.

The large screw is a cap which holds the needle valve, on the cap is a number and letter which corressponds to the weight, you will see the chart on this in the doc.

If you need some translationlet me know.

Stephen

I believe the "large nut" you are talking about is for the relief valve assembly. The manual that I have doesn't give a set amount of fluid to put in, unfortunately. I know there was an article in the April/May issue of the Dodge Brothers Club News on the rebuilding of the Delco Lovejoy shock absorbers, and it explained the entire process fairly well, and if I remember right, there was no majic fill level either.

Thanks for all info, what would be the chance of getting a copy of that rebuilding shock procedure that you mentioned, I mean is it readily avil. to you and could you easily scan it and send me a copy? If you cannot than thanks again anyway