Handset Rivets

Guest BigKev

The rebuild kit for my fuel pump arrived today and some of the pieces have to be riveted together. They supply the rivets they are tubular style, similar to a brake rivet. Does anyone know of a place that sells the "hand-set" punch/drifts to seat the rivets using a hammer. Or is there a better way to stake the rivet in place.

W02-DRAWINGS-ONLYOE1.gif

I looked on Harbor Freights site and didn't see anything close.

Thanks,

Maybe a easier way to ask the question is what tools does one use to seat the rivets on a brake shoe if you are NOT using a pop/blind rivet.

Guest imported_Speedster

You can get those rivet setting tool sets at leather working supply stores, like Tandy. It's a 2 piece set that you hit with a hammer. I did a complete set of brake shoes with them. But to do brake shoes you have to modify the bucking pad to go into the lining recess.

i picked up a brake rivet tool online a while back to do the brake shoes on my car about 2 years ago. basically it looks like a c clamp just put it in place and turn till desired fit of the rivet. think it was about 20-30 bucks and fits in a vice. i dont have the link anymore but i bet a google search for "aircraft brake tools" would probably turn something up.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second that request. I will also need info that tool for the installing the rivets on the radiator lace, hood lace etc. </div></div>

Tom,

Hood lace uses a different type rivet, a split-rivet (not clinched rivets). All you need to do those is a screwdriver (to get the bend started) and a drift-punch (or metal rod, or even a large bolt) to push them flat. Just use a hammer head or any easy to hold metal tool as a backing bar, to keep from pushing the rivet back out of hole, while pressing the 2 tangs flat.

Guest imported_Speedster

Here's a picture of a Split-rivet:

Can be purchased at Lebaron-Bonney and many other vendors.

See Attachment:

post-33516-143137916537_thumb.jpg

Rick,

The rivets that were on the cowl on my car were not split ones. I am not sure what was on the Radiator side because it had been re-chromed by my father.

So now I wonder which ones are correct.

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm not positive about '31 but I know '29 and '30 used split rivets for both cowl and grilleshell. (at least the ones I've seen had them) They were used to allow easy removal and installation without possible damage caused by having to drill out clinched type rivets. For that reason, I would use split rivets, even if clinched were used originally.

Guest imported_Speedster

Also the split rivets have a larger head, in relation to size of shank, which helps hold the fabric lace strap in place.

Guest imported_Speedster

BTW, both Split and Clinch Rivets are very Length critical, so make sure you get the correct length (work thickness) for the application.