New 40 owner

Guest JDHolmes

Guest JDHolmes

I just purchased/won (ebay syle) a 40 Businessman's coupe. It has no motor or tranny so the wife and I are going to do the "hot rod" thing to it (just motor,tranny and rear end). Can anyone give me specs and/or make recommendations of what will actually fit. I'm aware that there will probably me some metal work associated with motor mounts, crossmembers and the like.

thanks

JD

I hate to say it but the best answer is probably a small block Chev v8. They fit easier than most anything else. Naturally you have to make mounts, adapt parts etc. but there is no insurmountable interference problem.

You will have to swap out the rear axle too because your car's emergency brake is on the transmission. Without the transmission, no emergency brake. Best answer to this is to replace the rear axle.

Here I am a little foggy but either the A body, up to 1976 Dart and Valiant type, or the F body, 76 up Volare, Fifth Avenue, Aspen, Mirada etc etc has the right width rear axle. You will have to measure and go to the junkyard and check. In any case, one of the 2 rear axles (from a V8 model) will fit, work well, have parking brakes, and have the same wheel bolt pattern you have now. You may have to relocate your spring perches. You can buy new perches cheap from Summit Racing and have a shop weld them on.

Don't forget your car has left hand thread wheel bolts on the left side.

To answer your next question. Yes you can get disc brakes. Do a web search for Rustyhope, he makes the kit.

May I also suggest you ask these questions on a hot rod web site like HAMB? They may not be too popular around here.

I tried to give you the answer you wanted. But if you wanted to be more authentic, Plymouth and Dodge used the same type flathead engine up to 1959 and they had the tranny with the emergency brake on it.

There are still lots of them in remote junkyards and they are cheap. Parts are reasonable too. You could probably buy one and have it rebuilt for $3000. This may sound like a lot but it will cost that much or more to put in a late model engine.

In the long run, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a flathead 6 engine and trans, rebuild it and drop it in. This would save a lot of making new parts and trying to make things fit that don't want to fit.

For something really different, how about a 1952-54 Chrysler Windsor 6? They came with 265 cu in and 120 Hp. They are the biggest flathead 6 Chrysler made and it will fit your car. The block is 2 inches longer than the original from your car, so you will have to relocate the motor mounts and rad but it can be done.

If you get a kick out of this idea I can tell you where to find some flathead Chrysler hot rodders. One has a car just like yours with a hopped up 6 and a late model 5 speed manual transmission. He drives it all over the place.