dual exhaust coversion

122838B

A Midas Muffler rep told me that installing a Camaro-type dual exhaust on the Reatta would cost about $500 and would add about 10 horsepower. I was surprised at the high cost and equally surprised that the conversion would add any horspower at all since it is not a true dual exhaust. I think dual chrome exhaust pipes look really good on a Reatta but I wonder if there is a way to do the conversion a little cheaper. The added horsepower would be a bonus if true. My question is...is the dual exhaust worth the money???

Price seems awfully high. I paid about $200 for an all 304 polished stainless steel Ultraflow muffler, so if they are using all high end parts, it could possibly be that high, but for conventional aluminized stuff that sounds at least double what it should be. The Camero muffler isn't that different than the stock muffler. It is still a single in and dual out, although it could have slightly lower backpressure if the flow tubes inside are larger, but 10 hp is a big increase for only a muffler change. Personally I don't think the stock muffler is bad at all, but of course the look may not be to your taste.

The town I live in only has about 100,000 population, there are muffler shops, non franchise, that skin Midas consistently. The highest bid I have received is 185.00 plus tax for a stainless steel muffler system. I will probably not do it, I want to keep it stock. I did install Monroe Sensatracs for struts, that is the only non-stock repair I have done.

Tex

Guest Greg Ross

Here's a 2-1/2" dia. System to go with the supercharger. It was done entirely with 2-1/2" stainless pipe. forward of the muffler was a stock '91 system and everything else custom bent on a mandrel bending machine. This allows tight radius bends without the pipe collapsing or having the wrinkle pattern found on many pipe bends.

The bigger diameter has a functional benifit, letting the engine breathe. Factory Super Charged cars had the larger diameter system.

post-30773-143137913283_thumb.jpg