4-speed shifter - need help

1owner68

I'm having some trouble with my '68 442 4-speed shifter. In the process of removing it (before I learned about using the feeler gauge), I loosened, then overtightened the pivot bolt nut. Now that I've had the shifter out and cleaned it up, it's lazy when I move it to the 1-2 gate in neutral, then let it go. Looking closely, I noticed the moveable part of the shifter is in its mount at a slight angle (see first picture in attachment). When I put in a spacer to square it up in the mount (see second picture), its action is smooth and the shifter quickly snaps back to 3-4 gate when I move it sideways and let it go (like it was before I removed it). Did I screw something up by overtightening the bolt? It looks like the design of the shifter and pivot bolt would make it almost impossible to tighten the nut enough to keep the moveable part centered. Is there another part missing? The shifter had never been out of the car until I took it out to clean it up. There was so much oil and grease on it, I might have overlooked something if it fell out.

Thanks,

Jeff

post-35278-143137912524_thumb.jpg