North East G-1 Starter Generator and Starter Switch

busaf4

My North East Generator G-1 starter starts but does not charge. The amp gauge shows discharge when I use the lights but the guage does not move when the engine is running.

I took apart the starter switch and the contacts on the backflow switch were good. With the starter switch removed the contacts close when power is supplied across the generator connection (+) and the ground connection (-) With no power the contacts are open.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it appears that if the generator is produces power, the contacts close and the circuit is now closed between the generator connection and the battery connection on the starter housing block, If the contacts are open, this circuit is broken and there should be an open circuit between the generator and battery connections on the switch box. Power through the wire from the switch box to the amp gauge will change directions based upon if the generator is on or if the starter is pulling power.

When I put the switch back in the car (engine off, all wiring has been checked per NE G-1 manual), I can hear the contacts close when I hooked up the negative ground (+ side already connected). Is there possibly a short between the generator and the battery connection in the switch, causing the contacts to close?

Art

Guest imported_RAH

Art,

Your observation of the function is correct except the current draw when starting does NOT show on the ammeter as a discharge. I have observed the most common disfunction with these units has to do with the 'third' brush and fields associated therewith. One more problem I have observed is the lack of 'ground' connection from that cutout box's ground terminal to the engine and battery negative connection. I might suggest you check with Bill Blessing about having that cutout's cutout coil removed and replaced with a solid state diode. This conversion is much more reliable and does not need that ground link. Bill's phone is 360-673-3893. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley