1918 Dodge tourer help please

kimhunter

I have 1918 Dodge with a cowl but no body, and also a approx 1923 tourer body. other than the cowl, which I could swap, what other differences are there between the 1918 and 1923 bodies? Also what was the first year for steel felloes? What speedometer and magneto should a 1918 model have? Are ther differences between 1918 and 1923 chassis'? Thanks for any help.

Guest 18DodgeBrothers

Kim,

First year for steel felloes was 1920. Speedometer for 1918 was Johns-Manville Model 115H. The '18 did not use a magneto, but used Delco and Northeast distributors. Northeast was used after Feb. 1918. The 1918 is a 114 inch wheelbase. My book shows the 1923 had a 116 inch wheelbase starting in July 1923 at serial #929894. Not an expert on the body, but book says there was a wider touring body after July 1919.

Les

Guest imported_RAH

Kim,

I thought I'd answered this query a while ago. There are several differences from '18 to '23. First the rear fenders mounting from '15 to '19 were on curved angle irons fastened to the side of the body whereas the '20 to '24 rear fenders fastened in curved notches in the side of the body. The body was increased in width by 2" in '19 and the top and associated side curtains changed therewith. The '15 to '19 side curtains were 'Jiffy' and were bifold design hanging on a spring loaded wire whereas '20 on had separate curtains fastened to rods plugged into holes in the doors.

Beginning around '23 the frame changed by the addition of a reinforcement around the cowl area like the commercial frames of earlier. Next the upholstry in the '15 to '19 was of the diamond tufted design while the '20 on used a straight pleated design. And, the front floor linoleum and running boards on earlier cars was tan (light brown) which changes in '19 to grey.

I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley