1965 OLDS JETSTAR 1 SAFE MAXIMUM WHEEL SIZE.

Guest 2DAVEUTER

Guest 2DAVEUTER

DOES ANYBODY OWN A '65 OLDS JETSTAR1? SIMILAR TO THE STARFIRE. WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM SAFEST WHEEL & TIRE SIZE THAT WILL FIT ON MY '65 OLDS JETSTAR 1? FACTORY SIZE IS ONLY 14". APPROXIMATELY HOW MANY MORE MILES PER-HOUR GAINED AT 3000 RPM OVER STOCK 14" WHEELS? ALSO, NEED NEW WATERPUMP. WHAT BRAND AND PART# AND APPROXIMATE COST FOR A NEW ONE? OR A REBUILT WATERPUMP? THANKS. DAVE.

Guest 2DAVEUTER

Thanks Joe; The light bulb just came on. I understand wheel aspect ratio, but would try to get the largest diamater tire but just don't know what size tire would fit in the wheel well without rubbing when making sharp turns. Hate to buy the wrong size wheel. Approximately, how much MPH increase by larger size tires.

By the way, who & where would I get information fair and accurate apprasial of my '65 Jetstar1? Never see one sold at auction. Just Starfire convertibles or 442. Thanks. Dave U. from Kansas City.

First, a Cutlass is an A-body and a Jetstar is a B-body. Two different cars and two different wheel wells. Second, a 225/45-17 tire is less than 25 inches in diameter. That's smaller than the tires that came on the 65 Jetstar originally. Third, comparing a 17x7 and a 17x8 is meaningless unless you know the offset (or backspacing) of each, since that effects clearance also.

• 1 year later...
Guest old-cars

Hello:

I just discovered your post ref: 15" wheels on a 65 Starfire. I have just purchased a 65 Starfire convertible and am attempting the same conversion. I have done this successfully with my 1966 Impala SS Big block and the ride and handling benefits are great. I used to be a tire dealer so I can say with certainty that the 215/75r14 tire converts to a 215/70r15 tire. The 14" tire is 26.69 inches tall and the 15" tire is 26.85" tall. Michelin makes a very nice thinline whitewall in this 15" size for older Lincoln Continentals. The model is the Symmetry available from the tire rack for $102 or Goodyear Integrity (thin line)at $67 or Goodyear Regatta 2 (1" wide whitewall) for $71. The challenge is to get the correct 15" rim with the PROPER OFFSET AND BACKSPACE. Do you know if the 67-71 full sized 15" rims will fit correctly? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

A great trick which can be used to create a very original appearance 15" wire wheel hubcap is to locate 15" caps from a 1970-71 Impala /Monte Carlo. These 15"caps are identical in appearance to the 14" caps Old used in 1965 and will fit perfectly on a 15" wheel. If you remove the Chevy bowtie center, you can bolt on the 2 bar Olds spinner and have a perfect match except it is 15" instead of 14". If the bolts go too far into the Olds spinners, they can crack the pot metal so use some small washers to keep the bolts from driving too deeply into the spinners. Could you please forward this note to the fellow who asked the original question as I have just joined this site and I am unsure how to do this. Again, Please advise if you know what 15 inch wheels will have the correct offset and backspace as the 14 inch wheels. Many thanks.

Paul