Odometer repair

Guest slyrose

Hello All,

Got my new gears from odometer gears.com today and replaced the old ones. They were damaged. Put the new gears in, replaced the cluster, drove about 10 miles and got no odometer movement.

Has anyone done this before? I followed the great directions for this that I found online in one of the TC Pages. I practiced on an 88 LeBaron cluster. This operation is pretty easy.

Do the ODO boards or motor go bad? Is there a way to test them? Did I leave something really easy out in the process? The speedo works.

I am leatherique'ing the dash inserts and cluster cover (lots of shrinkage and it's not even cold!) while I'm at it.

I am one of those guys that like to do as much stuff myself as possible and I'd rather not pay someone an exorbitant amount of money to fix a pretty simple mechanical problem. Any suggestions and hints are most welcome!

Thanks!

Guest mtworkshop

I did mine about a thousand miles ago. Even with all the bits and pieces that I left out it works. The guy that sent the gears reccommended blowing out the speedo with clean air to get all the broken bits of gear out. Did you make sure there were no extra pieces floating around? Putting the gears back togethor can be tricky. Do they nest correctly? Maybe changing to the LeBaron speedo will show if the circuits are working.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest slyrose

I took the speedo apart again today. Took the new gears out to make sure that they were moving. They were. Took a pointed object and turned the gears on the odo & trip and they moved freely, and no remains of the old gear were found. Turned the brown plastic barrel that has the main gear and is in the pc board, and it moved.

If the distance sensor is bad, will the speedo work? My speedo works but he odo doesn't. The original gear was stripped, so I thought the gear replacement would do the trick. Sorry to say it hasn't.

My TC isn't here, but if it's driven by the cable, the gear on the other end could be wasted also.

The cable should not turn by hand if it is engaged at the other end. some of the Chrysler's have a 2 part cable so one cable could be wasted at that location also. If the gear is bad, It's still avaible. comes in three colors. Just order the same color. They are color coded for the different tire and wheel combinations.