Need Info on Olds 455 w/ "C" Heads

kcwade

Hello,

I have a 455 Olds engine that I am trying to decode. The heads have a large "C" underneath the front of the drivers side valve cover as well as the stamped number of "894 548" which is separated by the vcenter valve cover bolt, as well as a "CFD" about 3-4" to the left of the stmaped head number. Block also has a number of 30M137064, which I think means comes from Lansing in early 70? The engine supposedly came from a 442 car and is currently in running condition (runs very strong). The engine had been spray painted black but underneath the spray paint is red paint. Any suggestions on what else to look for for history of this engine? What might it be worth? thanks!

You're correct that the block stamping is from a 1970 Lansing-built car. Could have been a 442 or a Vista Cruiser, or a full size - there's not enough info to tell. The casting number on the heads is actually 394548, not 894548, and these heads were used on 67-69 big blocks (400, 425, and 455s), so they aren't the original heads from that block. The "C" heads could have come with either big (2.07") or small (2.00") intake valves.

Thanks...the engine was supposedly in a 69' 442 before it ended up in this 72 GS 455 (which I am currently building a Buick 455 Stage II engine for). My intention is to find out as much info as I can about this engine so I can sell it as a running unit, although I want to gather as much info as I can about it as I am not an expert by any means on the Olds engines. Any thing else I need to look for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thing else I need to look for? </div></div>

Sounds like they bolted the original 69 442 heads onto a 70 short block. Correct 442 valve covers will have "notches" (basically dented-in areas) at the rear to clear the power brake booster and A/C box. These are sought-after. Olds did not drill the crank pilot bearing hole on engines bolted to automatics, so an MT crank is worth more than an AT crank.