What now about Idle?

Guest inthespot

Guest inthespot

I have done all I know to do to get the idle down to something reasonable. Replaced the TPS, the IAC , cleaned the throttle body and butterfly. I noticed yesterday that it runs at 1400 rmp or so unless I have it set in the diagnostic mode on the dash. When it is in diagnostic mode to check the codes then the rpm runs around 700 to 750 with the air off and around 850 to 900 with it on. Take it out of the diagnostic mode and it goes back to 1400 -1500. Just finished adjusting the TPS from one end to the other a little at a time with no change. What could it be or is it that I have not gotten the TPS correct?

Guest F14CRAZY

It may be your TPS.

To set, go into diagnostic mode and get the reading for E001, which will read TPS (ECM data). Loosen the screws and move the TPS until it reads 0.38-0.42.

Just for luck, remove a battery couple for a few seconds and reattach for the ECM to relearn the idle.

Guest Jim Piro

Hi Mike,

One test we didn't do, was the reading with a wide open throttle. Seems to me that number should be about 5 volts but I may be wrong. I will do mine later and let you know. If the voltage doesn't get up that high, you have a bad TPS or you didn' seat it right when you put it in.

What happened to the rest of the brains??

Good luck!

Guest F14CRAZY

Jim's right. Forgot about that.

Also, should steadily rise in voltage with more gas pedal. Any jumps or skips and your TPS is bad.

Guest Jim Piro

Did the test. Starting voltage was .38 and got it to go to 4.10. Maybe would go higher if the mat was'nt in the way. Back surgey prevents me from getting that low.

What do you get?

The range sounds right. Usually will go a little higher than 4.10 but as long as the bottom end is adjusted properly, the other end is what it is. You could adjust the TPS to have a little more at the idle position, about .42 seems to be optimum, it will get into power enrichment slightly sooner when the throttle is depressed toward wide open but the .38 is acceptable. As long as the increase in volts is progressive as you slowly open the throttle, without spikes upwards or downwards, it is operating properly.