Question to Mustang Judges

Guest LPugh

Guest LPugh

What is the point deduction for having cadium finish instead of phosphate bolts under the hood of a 67 Mustang?

I'm not up on the '67 Mustangs real well, but if the bolts are of incorrect type, and the person judging the car knows that, I'd say that the deduction could be one point each for a maximum of 10 points.

Of course there are also no deductions made for overrestoration.

The AACA judging manual is on this website. You can download the manual and review it for clarification. Without actually seeing the car in question, I'd say that the maximum deduction would be 10 points.

On two of our vehicles, we've taken Senior AGNM awards with bolts that were painted. Most of the bolts on our cars were supposed to be unpainted, we painted them in a finish that appears to be natural. We chose to paint them in an effort to make them look like new, while also not having to fight the issues of rust coming back onto bare metal. Although it isn't actually correct, I believe that it falls under "overrestoration" and doesn't incur the penalty. With a minimum score of 390 needed for a Senior AGNM, we would've lost more than 20 points between engine, body and chassis to where we wouldn't have won the award if the finish were an issue on bolts.

When in doubt, bring the car out. If you don't get the award sought request the judging sheet after the meet and see if you lost points in the areas of fasteners.

I hope this helps answer your question.