swapping tansmissions-hurt value

tbirdman

Yesterday I met the owner of a 34 Super 8 Coupe who also had his car at the show which was amazing just in the fact that two early 30s Packards were there. He is a well known Packard collector in this area though his collection is substantially down. He gave me his card and invited me over to his shop so we could drive each others cars. We were talking about my slipping out of high gear problem which coincidently he solved for a 34 Packard owner a few years ago. The transmission wasn't aligned with the motor properly.

Anyway I mentioned I was considering replacing my 4 speed with a 3 speed. Both are correct for 32 903s as both 3 speeds and 4 speeds were used in the 32 model year. Mine being a late delivery in August 32 could have been either 3 speed or a 4 speed as 3 speeds were used in the second half of the model year. He mentioned he has a 36 3 speed that he would like to swap as he loves the sound of the 4 speeds. Funny, I wanted the 3 speed as that was the quieter more advanced transmission for that year with synchro in all gears unlike the 4 speed with synchro only in the top two. Would replacing the 32 4 speed with a 36 3 speed hurt the value of the car?

Tbridman, whether you have a 1932 three or four speed, the synchromesh is only on the top two gears. Installing a 1936 transmission will not give you a synchronized first gear. Be patient and find the correct transmission for your Packard. They are out there and you will find one if you look in the right place, such as join the CCCA and the Packard Clubs. Alternatively, don't swap but put another year in and keep the original for the day you want to sell. Not having the correct transmission will affect the vehicle's value.

By the way, either the three speed or four speed should be quite pleasant. With your four speed always start in second (low) and not first (low-low). I have a 1933 and a 1934 Packard. Both transmissions a more than satisfactory if they are set up properly.

Guest imported_PackardV8

To the best of my knowledge there were NO US built FULLY synchroed three speeds prior to 1965 give or take a year. I'm not even sure why they bothered to synchronize low gear in the 4 speeds or any other trans for that matter unless its for a severely underpowered engine or heavy load hauling.