studebaker 1931 indycar

can anyone help me please

i'm trying to find technical details about the studebaker 1931 indy car, as i want to build a replica of this magnificent racing car

ive dont all the usual searches on google and have so far drawn a blank

i need to find (if possible )where i can get a technical design or schematic diagrams

if you can help me i would be very grateful

thank you

post-47121-143137899792_thumb.jpg

Good luck! Those were some really magnificent cars! All I know about the specs is that they each had 4 single barrel carburators. I'm more of a post war guy, but those indy cars are just sweet! Good luck...

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stude8

The car you ask about, #37, was built using some factory parts like President Model 80 inline 8 cyl engine and modified Commander/Dictator rear end with custom hand made aluminum body built for Studebaker by the Herman Rigling shop in Indianapolis. There were no offical drawings or bills of material for it or the 1932 team cars which closely followed the #37 design except the engines were moved rearward for better balance on the oval track.

I spent some time in 1996 restoring the 1933 #34 car for Brooks Stevens Museum in Mequon, WI. It was used at several Harry A. Miller Vintage race car events on the Milwaukee Mile race track. I can advise you about many of the details in its construction and have many photos and video of it in operation. Contact me at nopicnic_2000@yahoo.com and we can communicate about the Studebaker race cars.

You do know that all 5 of the 1932 cars exist at this date although the #18 is largely a replica car having the original body but replica running gear. The 1933 #34 car was #25 in 1932 and was rebodied as were the others for 1933 with the aero dynamic wind tunnel designed bodies.

Replicating a complete car would be a daunting task and quite expensive considering how rare and desireable the 1932 President 8 engines are at this time.

Stude8

• 1 month later...

The 1931 #37 was the first prototype, independently built by Studebaker engineers. It was leading the race when it went over the wall and was put back together that year to win the Pike's Peak hillclimb. The results so impressed Studebaker, they decided to build four more and enter a five car team in 1932. All five were rebodied and entered in 1933.

The #37 was totally restored to 1931 standards by Stan Smith in State College, Pa and completed in 1980. I believe it is now owned by Bob Valpey.

Stan did, indeed, have to fabricate most of the body and grill since the 31-32 configuration was gone.

Stan lives in Boalsburg, Pa, just outside State College, Pa and he is always in contact with Bob.