looking for information replica 1916 bearcat

jasonl

My father purchased a replica 1916 bearcat and has been been driving me nuts wanting an idea of what hes lookin at value wise. Dont get me wrong hes not wanting to sell just curiousity. if any one here can help me either by pointing me to info resourses or maybe bein able to give me idea yourself it would be greatly appreciated only info i have right now is its suposedly on a 71 jeep frame mileage unkown jeep straight 6 engine body is in excellent shape on the front it has an oval plate that says alcor auto body works annapolis md (not sure on importants of this ) thats all i got off the top of my head ill post back with all info ive gathered from the car. thanks for any help

I've followed Bearcat replicas for years and have never heard of that replica.

However, there was something similar, a semi-scale (left hand drive, a rear deck more like a Mercer than the Stutz's trunk, etc.) fiberglass first-generation (1912-16) body on a International Scout frame. It too had a straight six engine. It was made in Oklahoma by the Stutz Bearcat Company owned by Oklahoma City businessman Howard Williams. About a dozen were made circa 1970-71. To see one go to www.stutzbearcat.com

Since IH Scouts are often referred to as "jeeps" I'm thinking this may be what you have. Is it?

In the 80s, there were other replicas (six or less) made in Conneticut by a R. Heinrick (sp?) based on Lincoln chassis with V-8 engines. The fiberglass body looked like the real thing, being let down primarily by a fiberglass radiator shell. Mr. Heinrich was a member of the Stutz Club within the past year, he should be able to provide more details.

Another replica, an authentic looking "one-off" made by an individual, was made in California with a Ford straight six. I've seen it listed for sale a couple of times on the internet.

The only other 12-16 Bearcat replicas I know of are the two made by George Barris for the 1971 CBS TV series "Bearcats". Barris made a third (less authentic) looking car for car shows. It had a full-size metal body mounted on a custom frame and used Ford drivetrain components and axels. The radiators are brass and I'm told are interchangeable with a Stutz unit. For a picture of one of the TV cars, go to www.fanfromfla.net/rodtaylor/bearcats.shtml

I own the car pictured, the primary car used in the series.

Send me a PM if I can be of any further help.

I'd like to know more about and see your car.

John

• 14 years later...

My father built that car. Alexander McKee Neff. He died in June of 2020. I drove the model you have to high-school and there's a photo of it in the Broadway Virginia senior photo album from 1999. I currently own two of his cars still. 

16213446818236998928068308163762.jpg

Its a 1976 DJ or delivery jeep. Post office edition. It was actually built in Greenmount Virginia in about 1996. The hood lovers are all hand pounded out from a form he made at home. Alex was a pilot and waterman. He was skilled with fabricating. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2006 at 2:52 AM, jasonl said:

My father purchased a replica 1916 bearcat and has been been driving me nuts wanting an idea of what hes lookin at value wise. Dont get me wrong hes not wanting to sell just curiousity. if any one here can help me either by pointing me to info resourses or maybe bein able to give me idea yourself it would be greatly appreciated only info i have right now is its suposedly on a 71 jeep frame mileage unkown jeep straight 6 engine body is in excellent shape on the front it has an oval plate that says alcor auto body works annapolis md (not sure on importants of this ) thats all i got off the top of my head ill post back with all info ive gathered from the car. thanks for any help

Trying to contact you

20211120_103421.jpg

On 7/1/2006 at 1:47 AM, JohnBoyle said:

I've followed Bearcat replicas for years and have never heard of that replica.

However, there was something similar, a semi-scale (left hand drive, a rear deck more like a Mercer than the Stutz's trunk, etc.) fiberglass first-generation (1912-16) body on a International Scout frame. It too had a straight six engine. It was made in Oklahoma by the Stutz Bearcat Company owned by Oklahoma City businessman Howard Williams. About a dozen were made circa 1970-71. To see one go to www.stutzbearcat.com

Since IH Scouts are often referred to as "jeeps" I'm thinking this may be what you have. Is it?

In the 80s, there were other replicas (six or less) made in Conneticut by a R. Heinrick (sp?) based on Lincoln chassis with V-8 engines. The fiberglass body looked like the real thing, being let down primarily by a fiberglass radiator shell. Mr. Heinrich was a member of the Stutz Club within the past year, he should be able to provide more details.

Another replica, an authentic looking "one-off" made by an individual, was made in California with a Ford straight six. I've seen it listed for sale a couple of times on the internet.

The only other 12-16 Bearcat replicas I know of are the two made by George Barris for the 1971 CBS TV series "Bearcats". Barris made a third (less authentic) looking car for car shows. It had a full-size metal body mounted on a custom frame and used Ford drivetrain components and axels. The radiators are brass and I'm told are interchangeable with a Stutz unit. For a picture of one of the TV cars, go to www.fanfromfla.net/rodtaylor/bearcats.shtml

I own the car pictured, the primary car used in the series.

Send me a PM if I can be of any further help.

I'd like to know more about and see your car.

John

Hey someone contact me