'54 olds hood+trunk lid diffrences between 88 & 98

eberhama

I'm trying to piece together a '54 Starfire convert. out of 2, but neither has a good hood or trunk lid. I was wondering if theres a diffrence between 88's and 98's? I was told 98's hoods and trunks are both longer. I can see where the hood might be, but the trunk? Also, would I be able to use '55 stuff? There seems to be allot of '55's around, but not many 54's. TIA, Matt

'54 88 and 98 hoods should be the same. Fenders are different, but only because of the wheel cut out. 88s are more square in the cut out. 98s have more of a sweep to them to match the rear 1/4 wheel cut out. A hood from a '55 may bolt in, but whether it's going to clear the fenders, hit the hood latch, etc are questionable. Also, it will be visually different - '55s have two ridges coming back from the tips of the hood rocket. I don't think '54s have those.

Trunk lids are probably different from 88s to 98s. 88s have a shorter back end than 98s, so I would imagine the lids would be different. You could probably get away with a '55 98 lid. They both have the chrome molding down the center, but the emblems around the lock cylinders are different. Only a trained eye would know the difference.

Paul