Key removed, engine continues to run?

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

I sold my old ,89 Reatta and the new owner reports he can remove the key and the engine continues to run. arm/actuator??

Wally, <P>I don't understand your question. <P>Do you mean that he can remove the key while the ignition switch is in the "Run" position? If so, the tumblers in the ignition switch are worn, or the notches on the key are worn, or both. Take the switch out and have a good locksmith rebuild the tumblers and cut a new key. (You may have to get the blank from a dealer.)<P>Do you mean that when he turns the ignition to the "Off" position that the engine does not shut off? If so, the shaft on the back of the ignition switch that actually turns the ignition mechanism inside the steering column is worn or broken inside the column. He will have to remove the switch and see what is worn or broken and replace the parts accordingly. <P>Joe BCA#35662 grin.gif" border="0

Guest wally888

Can turn ignition to ,"Off", remove key, engine continues to run!<BR> I looked in the Manual and told them it was probably a disconnected arm/actuator or maybe broken.<BR> Someone told them it was a broken lock pin! How?

Wally, <P>Sounds like the cheapest fix is to go to a shop that specializes in repairing GM steering columns damaged when the car was stolen. They will have had LOTS of practice. The Reatta column is virtually the same as most full and mid-size GM FWD cars of that vintage, so there's nothing exotic about the proceedure or getting the parts.<P>Joe