1920 Dodge genertor/starter parts

busaf4

Guest imported_RAH

Art,

What specifically is wrong with your unit? I am fairly familiar with these. Perhaps you could leave me a personal post and I could help.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

I just acquired a 1920 Dodge Roadster from a Dodge Brothers Club member. I am filling out the application so I will be a member. I have also purchased the mechanics manual and parts manual from Faxon. The car starts and runs but the lights do not work and it appears the generator is not putting out power (combination starter/generator). I found the battery set up for 12 volt negative ground while the mechanics manual shows 12 volt positive ground. The vacuum fuel feed has been replaced with an electric fuel pump.

I am thinking that it would be best to return the car to a 12 volt positive ground so the amp meter would work in the correct direction.

My questions are:

Does the polarity effect the rotation of the starter. If it does what changes do you recommend

Since the fuel pump is solenoid operated I presume the polarity should not effect its operation operation or if it does I could just switch the wires.

Are there any detailed diagrams on the starter generator so I can find the location of the fuse and brushes discussed in the mechanics manual.

Are there sources for the bulbs, fuses, and brushes.

There is a discussion on what the mechanics manual calls a back check device to prevent the battery from draining through the starter generator. Would a modern diode do the same thing

Thank You

Art Lee

artkoe@goes.com

Guest GCheaney

No, the polarity wont effect the direction of rotation. The coil

likely is still installed with the + side going to the distributor.

Which if its neg ground the plugs fire backwards. If the fuel pump

has magnets for fields it will require swaping wires around if you change it back to pos grd. There

really isnt a major reason to make it neg ground unless you wish

to install a radio or stereo or ??

If you get deeper into this and cant find the fuse let me know. I will ck

out the one I have that doesnt have an external fuse and see where it is?

Yes a late model diode will work just fine. I use a 70amp one on the cutouts

I rework.

Cheers,

Glenn

http://www.acewichita.com/

http://acewichita.com/13_NorthEast.htm

Guest imported_RAH

Art,

Welcome to the DBC. You mention your car is a '20. As such it would have been from the factory set as NEGATIVE ground and would have had a North East Model G starter/generator which would have the field fuse in clips on the rear. Dodge Brothers used all neg. ground up to '23 then switched to Pos. ground around the time when the horn button switched from the drivers door to the top of the steering column. Initially the starter unit was a N/E model D and there were three similar but different models thereof. In late '16 early '17 they switched to the Model G. The first few of these did NOT have fuse. Very rare these. There were two models of this. After '23 they switched to Model GA. This had the field fuse in a metal tub mounted on top on the front end of the unit. There are two models of these as well. The actual 'polarity' of the car system is irrelevant to the starter/generator as the first time you hit the starter switch and power up the unit it will polarize the fields according to the supply and will charge in the same manner. Yes, modern diode conversion in the 'cutout/start switch' is being done and available from several vendors.

I have seen several North East instruction booklets on ebay recently.

I hope this helps. Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

• 1 month later...