Need Help w/PS Pump Mounting Brackets and Water Pump

Guest 66olds

Guest 66olds

OK this is what Ive got. I just recently installed a rebuilt 455 olds with all the goodies into my 1966 Olds Cutlass 2 Door Sports Coupe. My problem is getting the power steering pump to mount properly in the stock location with the stock brackets. When I mount the main bracket it hits the water pump and it doesnt line up with the crank pulley. Tt lines up half between 1st and second grooves. There are 3. I have to build it way out with washers and longer bolts which I guess is no big deal but it doesnt look right. Im thinking I may have non A/C brackets and an A/C water pump. Any help or info or pictures of your set up would be greatly appreciated.

Second part is priming the motor. How long should it be primed? My electric was hurting big time and didnt turn very fast so I only did it a couple minutes. While it was priming I noticed oil down inside the distributor hole at a pretty good pace out and down toward the cam gear. Should it go until the oil also comes out the pushrods and down the rockers? Thanks again in advance. Email ymh40@comcast.net

I think you probably need the 65-67 big-block brackets if you didn't get them with the 455. The non-air w/p is (I think) 5/8" shorter than the air job. Only Oldsmobile knows why they did that.

Try over on www.realoldspower.com . Lot of guys there have put BBO into 64-67 Cutli so someone should know how to solve this.

I always take the oil sender unit out and prime the engine till I get oil there. That tells me the cam galleries are full and if you primed the lifters, you should have oil at the valvetrain once the engine fires and runs. Make sure you're spinning things CCW.

Guest 66olds

Thank you so much for the reply! Funny you mention removing the oil sending unit when priming. I had a 72 Cutlass with a 350 that I took out, put all new gaskets, painted it and put it back together but before I did I changed the oil pump and when I primed it the oil came gushing out the sending unit hole like a gyser all over the ceiling in my cellar then onto the new paint and floor. This time I put it on!

Thanks again.

post-45418-14313789021_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think the earlier motors used a diffent length water pump than the later ones. Try comparing a water pump from '66 to the one on your motor. You may need to switch. If the brackets & pulleys from the donor are available that may fix it for you. Good luck.