antenna mast - manual or power

Guest kevinshea

Guest kevinshea

Hi --- I need a mast for my power antenna for 54.. should be same for many years i guess. is the power antenna mast different from a manual? can the manual be adapted to the power antenna tape? can I use a manual mast on my power system?

The masts are different between power and manual. The powered mast is thicker to make room for the nylon cord, and quite a bit taller for unknown reason. You could take the cord out of the power unit to make it a manual, but could not rig a manual onto a power unit. The only thing that interchanges is the black blastic fitting and chrome fastener that sit atop the fender at the base of the mast.

There is a guy in Florida named Klaus Woyjak (or something similar) who has the mast and cord reproduced and advertises in Hemmings as a rebuilding service for these units. Brace yourself, he is very expensive.

I hit a lot of salvage yards before getting good pieces to finally put a working unit together and avoided his prices. But that took a few years.

Happy wrenching

Doug Cook

'96 Impala SS

'54 Special under restoration

'24 Buick roadster rod project (425 nailhead)

Guest kevinshea

Doug -- Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was that way.... yes I already talked to Klaus and he is $$$. He will be my last recourse for now. I have also noted that I can buy the attaching hardware, so all I need is a mast.

My parts book suggests that the mast is the same 54-57 and same on the chevy ( I suspect any electric antenna mast from GM would work )

Does anyone have a mast?

Kevin

I forgot to mention that the mast seems to be the same on Cadilacs and Packards of the same erra (which is perhaps why Mr Klaus seems to expect such good money), though I imagine that the motor and housing assembly would likely be different. Those are fairly sturdy units, so I do not imagine you will have any problem there. Just clean it up, give some fresh lube, and test it. It is the mast and/or cord that fails first.

Shoot me a private line if you want to talk '54, and happy wrenching.

Doug Cook

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Casco power unit on my 60 Electra and I have the red book that has walked me thru the disassembly process. The motor works fine, but my cord has some slick spots on it and you have to help it up and down. What has been done by any of you to make the wheel grab the cord consistently? The mast is good and straight (lightly oiled). I'd like keep it and not replace. As a last resort, does this repair guy have a website or #? I don't buy Hemmings. Thanks.