Rear wheel puller - 1930 DD - wanted/how

StevieG

Guest DodgeKCL

You need a brake drum puller. The brake drums have the outer bearing races in them. The puller is fairly easy to buy at one of those tool guys you see at flea markets. It doesn't even have to be a car flea market just one of those guys that sells all those Chinese tools for cheap at week end type flea markets at the local plaza. The puller has 3 large loose arms on it and they have holes in them to fit over 3 of the wheel studs. Then you put 3 wheel nuts down on them to hold them on the brake drum. The centre of the puller has a large threaded spindle that fits in a dimple on the end of the axle. You tighten the spindle down until the whole puller is tight and straight and all the slack is taken up. Then you keep turning the threaded spindle until the brake drum pops off. CAUTION: Everything lets go with a bang and the drum and puller fall to the floor with a crash. Keep back! If the brake drum doesn't want to let go then you have to bash away on the end of the spindle while trying to turn the spindle even tighter. All the old Chrysler products had this setup for rear brakes. I think it's technically called 'semi floating axle'. Bob (ps I can digital photograph mine and sent it to your via e-mail if you want.)

I was looking for one that goes onto the screw part( where the hubcap screws too ). I can't remove any of the bolts as they go on the drum, so I can't get to them when the drum is on....

I attached a pic, not exactly my wheel but the hub part is the same.

My wheel has the brake drum behind the spokes..

post-31187-143137883198_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

Sorry Steve I didn't realize you were talking about quick demountable rims, QDRs. I thought you were into the old problem of trying to unstick rear drums on later brakes. I think I missed by one year because the 31s would have dropped the QDRs by then? The last time I had a stuck QDR setup we put the car up on blocks and a guy got under the car and kicked the rim at the bottom as I slowly rotated the wheel. This slowly works the drum off the axle and key. I always thought it was the key and keyway that made the drum stick. When you get it off puts lots of Molyslip grease in the slot and on the key. Put a light smear on the axle stub as well. You can get Molyslip grease in a can at Canadian Tire. I pack all my bearings as well in it. Bob