Supercharging, re-revisited

redrea

Dear Friend, a blown Reatta is a great idea! But...

I hate to tell you this, but attempting to supercharge a non-factory supercharged engine is asking for trouble. Your crankshaft, rods, pistons, and even your tranny will not be able to take the extra strain. Instead, find a wrecked Riviera, Regal,

Park Ave. Ultra, or Bonneville SSEi, and install the entire drivetrain. The Supercharged 3.8L engines are built from the crank on up to be blown. If you want to super-tune this engine, also consider an aftermarket PCM. Search the net for these, there are several makers.

I have a Blown '99 Riviera built for the dragstrip. Runs mid 13s in the 1/4 mile

Also have a '90 Reatta ragtop that I'd love to build up, but it's a select sixty

Go ahead and build yours! But do it right, don't waste your time & money.

Regards, Dennis [color:\\"green\\"]

The basic engine internals have been investigated before, and there does not appear to be any evidence the crank, rods and pistons are any different, except for some of the s/c engines having full floating piston pins. Differences may exist, but so far no definite evidence has surfaced that this is true, at least on the early 3800's. The transmission is certainly a concern for any amount of boost.