Tape Deck Belts

JOHN07

Can anyone tell me if (FRB9.0) and (SCX2.4) are the proper belt numbers for the tape deck? Where can I purchase them on the internet? Where can I find the procedure for dismantling the tape player? I have found some, but they would not open

Thanks,JohnT

Guest F14CRAZY

Lookup mcmelectronics.com. They're got the belts. Don't know the numbers though.

There's a take-apart manual for the tape deck, somewhere

SCX2.4 is correct for the door, but the one I bought for the drive is 42-1990. From MCM Electronics. Repaired two, still working two years later.

1. For the 1988 and 1989 Reatta tape deck repair instructions, go to www.reatta.net then FAQ's - then tape deck - at the end there is a link to the excellent and detailed instructions.

2. I agree that trying to replace the door belt is probably a waste of time. I used the 2.4 on two tape decks and the cassette door would not pop open. I then tried 2.9 with no change. I think this is becasue the old door springs are no longer vibrant. Without the belt, the door pops open nicely, but without any dampening effect.

3. The repair author had difficulty with the reinstallation of the cassete back plate, so he left it out - which is fine. However, if you look carefully, there are two slots that the bottom of the plate fit into.

4. Some other suggestions are: Do the job in one sitting. Put parts in a separate container for each step and label the container with the step number.

Study the instructions first and make sure you have all the required tools in advance. I suspect at least 90 minutes needed for the first time.

Not so! While you're in there, replace the door belt, too. No reason not to and it allows it to work properly. There's a flywheel that slows door movement, and it's just more esthetically pleasing. Even the cheapies at K-Mart have dampened door travel.

Agreed that it's easier to do it in one sitting. Otherwise I forget where things came from. I copied the photos to a file and did the repair on my desk with the pictures on the computer monitor in front of me. That way you can browse through them or enlarge them. A bit of a challenge, but not brain surgery or rocket science. I had three wrecks, used one for parts, and managed to restore two to operation.

Sounds kinda like my son, age 17. I haven't played a video game since Pac Man with a joy stick, and he hands me a two-handed controller with more buttons than the radio on my wife's explorer and expects me to play? Then he goes through it so fast that I haven't the foggiest notion what he's talking about, and he expects me to keep up with the action? Not likely.

Just replace the belt and enjoy the <span style="font-style: italic">implied</span> sense of quality and refinement.

(On the other hand, I put him in a B727 simulator - the real thing, not microsoft - and watched the action. Maybe the old man's not totally inept.)

Hi-jack of the post hereby ends. We return you to your regular programming. wink.gif