More Power

jonlabree

Guest Greg Ross

There is basically no difference in the principal of FI between 3.8 and Series I normally aspirated. The post '91 Engine has;

The "Snakes" Intake-improved runners,

The cylinder heads have been improved for flow,

The exhaust manifolds have been improved drastically and

the exhaust system was increased from 2-1/4" dia to 2-1/2" dia (only 1/4" in the difference increases cross sectional area by about 30%)

If you need to replace the 3.8 then it would make good sense to look for a complete and running NA 3800 Series I (not S/C). It will bolt in with no issues, The very minor alterations to the wiring harness are simple if you can keep track of colors and use a soldering iron. Probably not more the about 4 hours work to do the wiring rerouting. Will you notice a difference, probably not unless you replace the exhaust system, she's got to breathe, that's what every improvement between the 3.8 and the Series I were about.

When I originally did my conversion to the na 3800 and the Getrag 5-Spd. I could see a difference, less power loss through a manual tranny compared to an automatic and the exhaust was done as well (managed to get new a '91 Reatta 2-1/2" system when they were still available) The Seat of the Pants Dyno but felt like 40-50 hp. The '88 was only factory rated at 150 hp, even 40 hp is quite an improvement, like 25%. Stock before the conversion the original 3.8 Auto made 137 hp at the wheels on a Dyno and she had 210,000 miles on her at that time. 125 on the Speedo on the Dyno sounded pretty nice too in the Dyno Bay! grin.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

If you were looking to have a decent N/A old style engine I'd try the Cadillac 4.9L V8. 200 horsepower, tons or torque, and it's aluminum. Actually I should make a post on that.

Guest Greg Ross

And within 10 pounds of the weight of the 3.8 too! grin.gif

Thats' the easy part, getting Engine Mangement integrated with the On-Board BCM is quite another matter. smirk.gif