Wooden wheel puller

Guest toys

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

I assume you are talking about pulling rear wheels - (not about disassembling wheels)-

Usually, you see a large pipe (2" or 3", whatever, depending on the hub diameter size) maybe 3 inches long. One end is threaded on the inside, to screw onto the hubcap threads. The other end of the pipe is capped off (welded) with a heavy gauge steel plate, 1/4" or more thick. In the center of this cap plate, is a hole with a nut welded on it to accept a bolt (maybe 1/2" x 13 or so). The (long) bolt through that cap and nut is then tightened, thus pushing against the center of the axle shaft, and pulling outward on the hub via the hubcap threads, nice and symetrical. The axle-contact end of the bolt is rounded off. Whacking the head of the bolt helps, as does heat, if stuck. Hardest part is cutting that large, fine thread to match the hubcap thread.

Hope this helps. It works on my '08.

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm new to the world of wooden wheels. Does this mean you need a special tool to get the wheel off the car? From looking at the sidemount spares, it appears just to bolt on (although admittedly, knowing that the hub screws on is important - right hand thread I presume?). I guess it would make some sense that the drive wheels could be a bit more complicated.

Thanks.

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

Well, Derek, it's interesting. Ususally, when you see sidemounts that include spare WHEELS, you're talking "newer" stuff (late 20's or into the early 30's) for spoke wheels. Earlier wheels usually had demountable RIMS. You see spare rims (no wheel) - with the tire on them, back through the early 20's on back to the beginning. You changed the tire, already mounted on its own spare RIM - and the actual wheel stayed put, always mounted on the car. The rim was thus de-MOUNTABLE. (Wheel was not.) You changed tires (frequently!) on the rim only.

Thus, when the occasion arises where you need to pull the wheel (say to do axle work, or brake work) it is usually pretty well stuck, because it has been on there a long time. Yes, it takes a special tool, and a lot of cussing. Once in a while you are lucky and it will come off just by beating it a bit with a big hammer. The wheel is normally just press-fit on the end of the axle, with a nut on the threaded end of the axle shaft holding it. You need to pull on the hub of the wheel itself, thus the tool. This is the same technology as buggies and wagons.

Changing tires on a rim is a lot of hard work. If you do it a few times, you can really empathize with the early auto pioneers and what they went through. Possibly even explains the origin of the phrase "I'm Tired" !!!!!!

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hello,

Unless you already have had to use shim stock over the worn taper,

in which case the hub comes off fairly easy.. grin.gif

Thanks,

Joe Kieliszek

Thanks to all of you for this input. I do have a spare axle for a '32 I am trying to get the wooden "wheels" off. At least, with the axle only, I have a free shot with a hammer and some lumber, but so far nothing is coming loose. I hate to go to the trouble with a fabricated puller", but now I know how. I have a few more weks here in CT to pound away befor ethe other route. Otherwise I can cover outside until the spring. This car sat ouitside for many years as a lawn ornament, so plenty of rust, but the wheel should still come off the axle eventually.

Thanks again to all, especially sine I am piggybacking on some one elses question.

John

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

John-

In that scenario- seems to me the best answer is HEAT, HEAT, HEAT. Then beat on it.

Make it glow cherry with a torch. It won't melt!