Whinning Noise When Engine Is Running

88 Reatta - experiencing very audible whinning sound underhood when engine is running. I haven't noted any power steering<BR>or transmission irregularities. Car seems fine but something definately sounds very worn. Sound has been there for some months.<P><BR>Anyone have any experieince with this or any idea as to the source of the noise?<P>

In addition to the comment by echofire... it's OK to let the bearing go for awhile but the noise you are hearing in the first indication that the bearings are failing. The noise is from lack of lubricartion. These bearing are lubed and sealed when they are manufacturered. So dont wail too long to address them. There are other bearings that will give this whining noise, inlcuding the water pump bearing. Just to be safe... have that noise checked. wink.gif

As other have noted bearings upon failure typically produce an annoying whine. Please, check the belt tensioner's pulley. This part can easily become noisy. Since it's cheap ($20 - wheel only). Belts can also contribute to noise issues. I hope so as this is the cheap part. A mechanics stethoscope is also cheap and helps track down odd bearing noises (the alt. always sounds noisy with one of these since there are other electro-mag things happening).<P>I'm not terribly loud, so I won't whine.......too much......

Not to alarm you, but, the only indication I had that something was wrong right before I lost my transmission was a similar noise when I started the car. The difference being I only noticed the noisefor the few days prior to my transmission failure. I hope you do not have the same problem as I.....Dan<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jersey.net/~tdc/Reatta1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jersey.net/~tdc/Reatta1.jpg</A>

As you already know, it could be one of a dozen different things. Plus, I don't know how many miles you've put on the car in the last several months. My first guess would be the bearings in the alternator are going out(based on a couple previous "whining" experiences with GM cars). The unit will still work fine for a while, it's just very annoying. Good Luck.

MY COMPANY VAN HAD A WHINING NOISE THAT SOUNDED LIKE THE POWER STEERING. IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE A/C COMPRESSOR. LOOK FOR DIRTY OIL RESIDUE BEHIND OR AROUND THE COMPRESSOR PULLEY.

@<BR>2 weeks ago I had a whinning noise and it turned out to be the bearing in the A/C clutch and then yesterday the same type of whinning sound started again and this time it was a bearing in the altenator. This is on a "99" with 32000 miles

Hey bwix... please let me know what '99 vehicle you have that had TWO bearing failures at 32k miles!!!!! I'll be SURE not to buy one. You are under warranty I hope?

ladyreatta. Please let us know how this ends. Everyone is filling in the other "dozen things" I mentioned. I (as I can guess others too) are really waiting to hear what really was your whinning noise. Thanks.

Bunkieboy<P>The "99" that had the two bearing failures in 32,000 miles is a Z34 Monte Carlo and yes, it is still under warrantee and other than the two bearing failures it is one of the least trouble some cars I have owned