'53 Buick 322ci V8- anything else I should do when changing oil?

Guest TheDude

Guest TheDude

Hi,

The oil in my '53 Buick Super is about fifteen years old. I am going to change it soon, in preparation for its first startup in many years. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a product that I can run through the engine after the oil has been drained, to clean it out.

Updated Progress on Emma:

New fan belt, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and battery cables. I will be ordering radiator hoses soon. As soon as I find out where I can dispose of gas in my area I will drain the gas tank and lines.

Thanks for the help,

Justin wink.gif

Guest ZondaC12

well in the case of my '38 special i just unscrewed the plug at the bottom of the oil pan, came out just fine, only a couple small chunks ever came out, some was very watery, im guessing that actually was water. that sat for 25 years. i just went out and bought some napa non-detergent oil and put that in. now its not driveable yet (working on overhauling brake system) but i run it for 15 mins or so every couple of weeks and i first got it running june 14th. it runs fine and oil pressure is right where it should be, and the oil dipstick shows the new oil has gotten only slightly darkened. i keep forgetting but will change it soon, as that will flush and crud out of there and then the next change will be oil that will stay in there a normal amount of time.

i would think you would be just fine draining it and putting new oil in, running it through a few times like i have and then changing it again. im not sure if you need non-detergent oil? ill let the experts supply this info, as im as much a newbie as you are, actually maybe more, since you already have an old mustang, this is my first classic car, and the first car ive really worked on this in-depth. but i do know that if you can't find specifically "non-detergent oil" then the SAE 30 for lawnmowers, tractors, snowblowers, etc is a non-detergent oil.

Justin

On any engine that has been sitting for years, you should pull the pan and clean the sludge that is sometimes so bad that it will restrict the oil pickup screen. Also look for engine pieces such as chunks of piston that will indicate other problems.

It is not that hard to pull the pan on a 322. Your service manual will tell you how or ask and I will tell you how I do it on a 55 Century.

Willie

Thanks. I will see what falls out. If there is any sign of sludge I will pull the pan to inspect it. I have a 5qt. jug of PENNZOIL 10W-30. Will that be alright for this engine?

Thank you.

Guest 53Nailhead

Take your time & do it Willies way, it'll pay you back in the long run! Always do it right (or try to) the 1st time! Not preaching but listen to what these guys are telling you & it'll save you alot time & money. According to my manuals our 53's take 6 qts. plus 1 one with a filter change. frown.gif Sorry just stepped down from my soap box. Not having a great time lately.

Thanks. wink.gif

I will pick up some extra oil and an oil pan gasket this week. With work and school I am busy Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm, and 7:30 am to 12:30 pm on Saturday. With that schedule I am going to have to take a morning off from work so I can get parts. tongue.gif