'54 Olds horn adjustment

Robie

A few mnths ago there was a discussion of adjusitng an olds horn relay setup. The horn on my 1954 Olds 98 has a mind of it's own and works when it wants to. I'm sure it is in the horn relay, but don't know how to adjust it correctly. I have the owners manual, but don't know enpough about the setup to be sure I'm on track. Can anyone advise me on this one? Thanks!

Remove the relay. Bend the tabs and remove the cover. File the contact points ( file, do not use sand paper). Adjust to about a 1/32" gap. Bead blast the cover. Spray with semi gloss black. Clean the terminals and connecters. Reinstall. If it's still iffy it ain't the relay.....Bob.

I should say chances are it's not the relay. A quick check is to ground the "S" terminal of the relay ( green wire ). If the horns blow the problem is in the circuit from the relay to the wheel, and the relay is OK. BTW, the relay itself must have a good ground between the relay and inner fender, the same for the horns. If the relay and horns check good, check/clean the connector on the top side of the steering column under the dash. After that it's the horn ring and pray its not the slip ring contact in the column.....Bob.

Bob, Thanks for the information. I think you are right about the relay. I'm currently working on getting an expanded view of the column. When I bought the car the upper part of the column was disassembled. I think my error is somewhere in the contact at the top of the column. Why do you say, pray it is not the slip ring? I'll also try the other tests you recommended.

You would have to remove the steering column outer jacket to get to it. Nasty job, but the odds are on your side that's not the problem, especially if someone "worked" under the horn ring. My money is on that as the problem area.........Bob.