Blast. Headlights won't retract/extend

Guest F14CRAZY

Guest F14CRAZY

Howdy. Driving back home from my girlfriend's house and went to extend mah '89s headlights. Pushed the button under the tape player and no movement (and no LED). Headlights were actually on but retracted. Pressed it a few times but to no avail. So I pulled over and turned those long winded dials and got them up.

Got home and they wouldn't go down under their own power either. They move freely and have fairly new plastic rollers. I'd think that the motors aren't getting power at all. I'm positive on that but I'll check with a test light tomorrow.

Where should I start? Thanks folks.

If you figure out the problem please let me know... The drivers side of our 88 is the same way... When we need the light we have to pull over and screw it up.. We do have the new set of the plastic rollers on it but sill nothing... We rarely drive at night but it is nice to have them when you do need them... Molly & Don

There is a headlight control module located under the windshield washer bottle. This controls both headlights and I have sold several of them but without looking in the manual I am not sure if it could be causing your problems. I do have good used modules if you determine you need one. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Upon looking further into this circuitry in my shop manual is see the diode is there so operating the switch under the tape player only opens the doors and does not turn on the lights. Operating the headlight switch puts battery on both the inputs to the control module and both opens the doors and turns on the lights. The diode shields the battery from going to the light input. If you lights are not lifting from either switch I would suspect the module.

I have both headlight control modules and diodes.

Guest F14CRAZY

Seems that it would be this module. I don't have another '88 or '89 here to swap and try it. I'll contact you soon about this part