'54 wiper woes

dbrink

Hey everybody, great website.

I have a '54 Special convert. I dissasembled the dash and removed the chrome around the winshield while doing bodywork/paint. Put the wiper post back in with the cables routed the same way I took them out (So I say) but the wipers now say different as they go the direction when turned on. Anybody smarted than me with some advice or a diagram for the wiper cables. Thanks.

Guest imported_MrEarl

dbrink,

Welcome aboard. ooohhhhh a 54 Special convertible, sounds nice!!

I'm sure to have some diagrams around here somewhere. Will need a little time to dig them out. I'll try and get back with you within a couple of days if no one else has.

Hey, we'd love to hear more about you and your Special. Got pictures. Be sure to go to the "Me and My Buick" forum and check out some of us and our Buicks. Would love to have you post there also.

Guest imported_Thriller

All right Lamar, stop drooling...you'll damage your keyboard grin.gif At least our new member (welcome aboard) is proof that you don't have ALL the '54s out there smirk.gif

Lamar,I could sure use the diagraham if you cone across it I got my Buick about five mounths ago the body was in great shape so I had it painted a tourquise green had a new white top and all the new rams and lines. The dash had been repainted , but it was a very bad job so I pulled it all out so that I could get it right. All the gauges cleaned up real nice except the gas, amp, oil,and amp cluster I could really use a new one , anybody have one? It has a set of kelsey hayes wires and wide whites. This is my first old buick, but when I was a kid my Dad had a 50 two door fastback and a 53 two door, I always loved those old cars. I have a 34 ford five window coupe street rod -65 corvette conv.-72 big block covette conv.- a prowler- 55 chev. so the big buick is a totaly different kind of beast for me. I may be a pest for awhile till I get it finished , any help on the gauges or wipers will really be appreciated. Seems like my son found a really nice site for me talk about the buick. cool.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

dbrink,

OK, just as I thought the "Body by Fisher Service News" Removal and Installation of Body parts has some excellant detailed instructions, pictures and diagram of the windshield wiper transmission and cables. If you can ever find a copy of this book it is restorers blessing.It's about 4 pages so a little too much to scan and email so send me your address and I will copy and mail you the info you need. Is there anything else you need at this time that I can copy.

Keep your eye on ebay for the instruments. I have a instrument cluster set but it too is pretty pitted.

Lamar, when you post on the forum you use the #72R #76R where do I find these body numbers on my car. Other items I need is the right and left sunvisor brackets which are also the convertible top holdowns. Thanks for any help you can give. Will post some photos as soon as my son will show me how. My address is DICK BRINKLEY 1111 N.E. 7th STREET OCALA, FL 34470

Guest imported_MrEarl

Dick the model series and bodytype nos are found on the information (data) plates on the passenger side cowl/firewall area under the hood. If you give me all the numebers I'll look them up and let you know what they represent. Your model should be 46C with a TX ening on the style No. I am off work until Monday so will try and make some copies of the Fisher Body manuals and send you when I get back to work. Looking forward to the pictures.

edit) Have you visited the Buick.net site.

here is link to it.

Buicks.net

Lots of great info.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lamar, The vin plate reads as follows: 1954 MODEL 54 46C STYLE NO.54 4467 TX BODY NO. G 1174 TRIM NO. 47 K B PAINT NO. 7 6 TOP ACC B 1 </div></div>

Dick,

Your 54 Special convertible was built in Flint. The paint number is a little confusing. is your car Tunis Blue. If so it (and Gulf Turquoise) came out in the latter part of 54. The interior trim is Blue Cordaveen, two-tone. Let me if these are correct.

Lamar, When I got the Buick it was in primer, it had been in a bodyshop for a couple years. When I took the dash out I did find some turquoise paint in the under part and hidden in the door jams. The interior was completey bare down to the seat springs, so I did not have a clue as to the color of the interior.