olds 455 or chevy 350 engine???

marco

I want to change the engine in my olds cutlass supreme 1983. I can have a good 455 rocket for about $300 transmission include. But ... it's a lot of work to get it in the car. I dont know if I should stick with a chevy engine. Give me some feedback guys before I lose this deal on the 455.

I put a 455 in my 86 442 and it wasn't alot of work. Use 307 motor mounts and it goes right in. Then you just have to decide what you want to do for exhaust. Hooker and Kooks both have headers, or you can use dual exhaust manifolds which you can get repro for around $200 or you can look for original. When I first put it in I used crossover manifolds from a 76 Custom Cruiser and the 307 exhaust bolted right up, but it was a bit of a cork to put it mildly. grin.gif

To use the A/c Compressor you need to fab some spacers.

What does the car have in it now? If it's a 307 Olds engine, the 455 will be an ez swap using Jamie's tips. If it's a 305 Chevy, a Chevy 350 will be easiest. I generally like to keep Olds engines in Olds cars, but after 1978 it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference since they came with everything from 231 Buick V6 to 260 Olds to 305 Chevy. I think a few even made it out with Pontiac 301s some years. Bottom line- a 350 Chevy, while common as dirt, offers a lot of bang for the buck and if the car originally had a 305, will be your cheapest and easiest route. But omigawd when a 455 torques up... if yer weenie 307 is still there, yank it and stuff big iron in. Just remember to upgrade the other stuff since 455s have a habit of breaking lightweight drivetrain components.

• 2 months later...

If you wanna be like everyone else & use a Chevy engine, buy a Chevy. Otherwise use a real engine & do the 455.

I told my husband the ONLY thing that would make my '76 Olds Cutlass Salon with the factory OLDS 350 would've been one with the 455. But, I'd be getting into way too much trouble if I did that. grin.gif