'62 198 doesn't like the heat

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I have a rebuilt '62 198 V6...bored .030 over...carb rebuilt...etc. etc. It doesn't like to start when it's hot out (90ish or so). Last summer I had to get a tow - we had gone out for lunch, then stopped at a friend's, but it wouldn't start. I got it towed home, then at a later date when it was cooler out it started fine.

On Saturday I wanted to take it out, but it wouldn't start again. Again, it was about 90 out...a bit warmer in the garage. This morning, it was about 60 and started fine.

It has an electric fuel pump - I turn it on until I hear it fill with fuel and then start cranking.

Ideas? The carb has been rebuilt like 3 times. The fuel in the car has stabilizer in it. It ran nicely today and I took it for a spin.

I don't know if I can trust taking this to Rochester next summer if it won't start...guess maybe I should pick up the pace on the Wildcat.

I'll be away camping for a few days, so I won't be responding until the end of the week at earliest.

Thanks.

Guest COMPACTBC

Hi Derek, greetings from So. CA. If the starter is turning over the engine fast enough, then you need to determine if it's a fuel problem or an ignition problem. tongue.gif What have you done re your coil and condenser? confused.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Sorry for the confusion. The starter will always spin the engine, it is just that when it is warmer outside, it won't fire.

Bruce, I know the electric fuel pump is pumping gas to the carb...I can hear the sound change and if I take off the air cleaner and leave it going, it will eventually spray gas out the top. I haven't touched anything ignition-wise recently...it had all new components installed when rebuilt (got it home Oct. 2003).

It starts and runs fine in cooler weather (like in the 60s), but causes grief whenever I've tried to start it over about 80 or so.

Guest COMPACTBC

Derek, when you say,"it will eventually spray gasoline out the top", is this while the engine is not running and the gas is spraying somewhere? The electric fuel pump should not make gas spray anywhere. shocked.gif If it is, I suspect that the fuel pressure is too high for your carburetor needle valve & float system. This could cause a significant fire hazard! tongue.gif Do you leave the electric fuel pump on while driving or is it on a separate switch and is used just for priming the carb?

Re the hard start when the engine is hot, if the electric fuel pump is operating as you described, then you could be flooding the engine with the fuel pump. However if the pump is only used to prime the carb when it has been stored for awhile, them I would be looking at your coil and maybe your condenser. When an old coil gets hot it can fail and the same might happen to an old condenser. If they are old, I would replace them and see if that corrects your problem. smile.gif Keep me posted.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the thoughts Bruce...yeah, the electric fuel pump keeps pumping while running - I had the pressure checked this spring when the carb was rebuilt again to correct rich running issues. The mechanical fuel pump was removed when the engine was rebuilt and a plate put over it as it was bypassed anyway - going back to the mechanical pump is on my to do list. The only time I have seen it spray was last summer on a hot day when the car let me down - when I saw that (air cleaner off of course), I gave up and called a tow truck.

I don't think it is flooding (at least not significantly) as it will start and run perfectly when it's 65 degrees outside. Of course, when the engine gets up to temperature, it is quite a bit warmer under the hood and things keep going OK. I'll try a new coil / condenser...I'm thinking more and more it is an electrical issue.

Now all I need to do is get the parts, replace, and wait for it to heat up again (we've had nice weather the last couple days in the mid-sixties).

Guest COMPACTBC

When you had the fuel pressure checked, how many pounds did it read? The pressure should be about 4 to 5¾ lbs at carburetor height. Where do you have the electric pump installed. It should be on the frame back by the gas tank. Have you checked your fuel lines for any air leaks? I think putting the mechanical pump back on and using the electric just as a booster or emergency pump on a seperate switch would be a good idea. cool.gif The weather here has been in the high 80's but the humidity from the hurricanes in the gulf last week, has been terrible. tongue.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

I don't think I got a number for the pressure...I was concerned it was too high as the car was running rich and spewing raw fuel out the tailpipe...that is fixed now.

The electric pump is on the inner wheel well (I didn't put it there - it was there when I bought the car). I'd like to hide it or even get rid of it altogether, but it hasn't been high on the priority list...sigh.

I had hoped to pull the car out of the garage today to install the missing ventiport trim as well as go over the hub caps (I bought another set so want to get the 4 nicest on the car). Unfortunately I'm waiting for my wife now so that we can go and buy a new dryer as the old one has heated its last.

Before I go back to work in about 10 days I also want to talk with an upholsterer about installing the new black top on the car...once I get these things done, it will be time for some new photos.

Guest imported_Thriller

Well, I think it was Saturday that I got the missing ventiport on...a bit of a pain, but eventually got it...now to find my fender Special emblems to get them on.

The reason I'm stating this in this thread is that I had the car running on Saturday (briefly) when it wasn't too hot out, but then I started it yesterday as well, when it was about 85...I hadn't done anything suggested yet...unless it is fuel-related and keeping the system a bit closer to primed might have done the trick...I will try again this week as we are supposed to stay above normal temperatures. Hopefully it is as simple as driving the car more often....

I have been following this post, I would suggest you inspect the ignition points, sounds like there might not be enough clearence when the cam is on the high side to open them. Should be .015-.017 clearance when on the open (high) cam. If you don't have enough clearnce at the points the coil doesn't get enough time to load for the next shot. You can also test this with a dwell-meter. Go from neg side of coil to ground with the meter, should read 28-31 degrees. Good luck, Buford 8.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks for the idea Buford 8...sounds like maybe I should just give it a tune up overall...it's a shame as things were just put together not all that long ago. I'll have to check with a buddy as I don't have a dwell meter and I suspect he might.