Has the whole world gone mad?

I just got done reading "ReattaNY what happend?" And was reminded of the state of the world we live in.<P><BR>A college student leasing a Land Rover? I'm 32 yrs. old, A supervisor in a Correctional Facility and I don't have a Land Rover. Nor the means to get one.<P>The trouble is we have an entire generation of people who think, "I want it now, I deserve it, screw working for it."<P>I'm driving a ten year old Reatta because I could'nt afford one when they made them. I know guys younger than me right now driving Ford Expeditions! That's a $40,000 vehicle!<P>Have you ever noticed the number of 50+ yr. old's driving brand new Corvette's? It never occurs to people that it took those guys 50 years to buy that car!<P>I guess I have a different outlook on personal wants and needs because I drove the same car for 11 years! Was it ugly? yes. Slow as molasses? Yeah. But it was paid for. My kids ate, and wore nice clothes. And no bill colectors sent me letters saying "We break thumbs!"<P>At the prison where I work, the average sallary for on Officer is $30 to $35 thousand a year. And there are more Lincoln Navigators and Ford Expeditons in the parking lot than you can shake a stick at.<P>I can't tell you how many of these guys get phone calls from creditors at work! I think people today just have more money than brains. "$500.00 a month lease? No problem!"<P>Can you really blame them though? You can walk into a car lot and literally without coughing up any money, drive away in a 40-50 thousand dollar vehicle. All within a couple of hours.<P>And it's this same group of people who turn their nose up at Reatta's. They have no appreciation for craftsmenship or enginiering. Just give them what's "In".<P>Well, I've stood on my soap box long enough. <BR>See ya.

AMEN!!!!! You are 150% correct and RIGHT ON! What has happened to OUR sense of values??? I'm a 50+ that PAID MY OWN WAY thorugh college... OK now I CAN afford three motocycles, and three (old) cars and a nice house. My dad died when I was 13. EVERYTHING I have today I earned.

I have a BS in Criminal Justice and found it interesting you mentioned people who work in corrections at an average pay-scale could afford such luxary automobiles. It makes people on the "outside" wonder about the pay-offs on the "inside".

I'm amazed that this topic has caused such a rash of bad feelings. So this young man wants an SUV instead of a Reatta. What business is it of ours. He wants to buy one that cost over $50,000. Again, why should it bother us. Frankly, I don't share America's love affair with trucks, SUVs, or minivans. These types of automobiles do nothing for me. If they cost $1.00 or $100,000 I would never consider buying one. Give me a nice looking, well equipped 2 door and I'm happy. A case in point, just last week I bought (leased) a 2001 Acura CL. Very nice car. Yet, my 11 year old Reatta still has some features that were designed better and function smoother. Interior lighting and tilt wheel just to name two. And yes, I can afford the note.<P>For over 25 years I worked in car dealerships and was shocked to see how bad people's credit reports were. I worked for some years in the F&I department and saw everyones. In this day and age people don't seem to care about if they can pay their bills. If they can't pay, they head off to a lawyer and file for protection. To me your credit rating is your integrity. At least that was what I was taught from a very young age. Today, at the the age of 48, I can buy anything I want at a good APR because I've kept my financial house in order. I don't buy something if I can't afford the note. I want to be able to sleep at night and know when the phone rings it is not some collector.<P>The issued was raised about why should a kid have a $50,000 car. I think we all want the best for our children. If this household has the means to pay this kind of money, then why should any of us care? I know many parents do a great deal of things for their children. My dad pasted away when I was only 9. He did not leave mom and I very well off. We always had food, a house, and clothes to wear but not much else. I remembered my mom saving and not buying things she wanted so we could have enought money to buy my dream. A Mercury Cougar XR7. She bought me one. It was not new, but it was only a year old when I got it. Today, my mom is in a nursing home and will never be able to go home. I visit her everyday for a few hours. Thats all I can do for her now. She did so much for me as a child, being both a mom and a dad. Each day when I leave, I tell her I love her because I never know if she will last the night. So yes, parents do things for their kids and the Land Rover may be a case in point.<P>I have enjoyed being a part of this forum almost from the time I got my Reatta two years ago. Every once in a while we stray off the subject. This forum is for the enjoyment of our cars, not to past judgements on others. Matt may not be truthful, he may be spoiled, and many said he can't spell. He may have welshed on some deals. Is the purpose of this forum to analyze Matt? I think not. Lets move Matt to the back burner and have some real down home (I'm from Texas) Reatta Discussion. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.<P>Goodnight Matt where ever you are. May the 4WD be with you.<p>[This message has been edited by Howard (edited 08-13-2000).]