394 Choke setup.

Moin

I'd like to know the choke system setup on the 394 V8 of my '63 Olds 98. I have a rebuilt original Rochester 4GC carb which has one port on the choke housing to which a rubber hose is supposed to be attached, but where does the other end of that hose lead to? The water pump? On my '62 Lincoln's 430 V8, the hose goes from the choke housing to an outlet on top of the water pump which supplies coolant to the choke housing. Is this the same case here? Thanks.

Moin, I have never known Oldsmobile to use a water heated choke. I think the port you refer to connects to the hot air pipe that runs thru the intake manifold. A short, curved tube connects to the threaded port on the carb choke housing and to a small hole in the intake manifold. A small vacuum orifice in the choke housing pulls outside air thru the pipe in the intake manifold, heating it, and then thru the choke housing itself. The hot air passing over the choke thermostatic coil is what operates the choke.

If your choke tube is missing, you may be able to adapt an electric choke to your Rochester.

Thanks. I think I'd like to fabricate a new hot air choke tube and attach it to my carb's choke housing as per the original setup. The only thing is that I need to know exactly where on the intake manifold does this choke tube connect to so that I can fabricate a new choke tube accordingly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...