dynaflow

Guest 53Nailhead

Guest 53Nailhead

The transmission in my 53 super creeps forward or shudders when I put it reverse, sometimes it engages properly. I have checked the transmission mount (thrust pad) & it seems OK. I have read my two manuals about how to adjust the bands, the question is how do you reach it. I can feel it from the underside & can see the adjustment from the top down behind the distributor on the side of the tranny (arms aren't that long). Is there something I'm missing, some trick? I have pulled the front mat out & there is no port hole to work from the top. Do I make one. HELP confused.gifmad.gif Any & all advise appreciated.

Les

Les,

Do not have a '53 manual but both my 54 & 55 manuals indicate that the first thing to check is the linkage adjustment. Would imagine the process would be similar/the same for your '53 and if it would be helpful I could scan and e-mail to you as an attachment.

Good luck.

Guest imported_NikeAjax

What some people do, and was done to my '56 before I got it, is cut a hole in the hump of the floor pan to gain access to the tranny. I think yours might be like mine, in that to reach the adjuster, you have to do this or, or take the tranny down.

Just a thought,

Jaybird

Guest 53Nailhead

Thanks Jaybird, I,m starting to see it that way to, I just can't seem to see any other possible way to access it.

Thanks, Les

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 53Nailhead

Gene, the tranny just started going into gear one morning shocked.gif(& I know the transmission fairies didn't magically show up one nite). So I backed out of my driveway Thursday AM & off I went cool.gif. When I pulled into the camp site In Batavia I lost reverse again mad.gif. Had to pull in & thru everywhere. Bought a thrust pad down there & will install asap. Drove home Friday PM due to a family emergency ran great in drive, 60-65MPH for 300+ miles. Stopped a block from the house put it rev. backed up fine & still does cool.gif?? I don't know what to think! I find if I put it in low for a few seconds then into rev it works fine, I know this isn't the way it's supposed to work but it does. Any thoughts? I was thinking about what you said about the alignment & was wondering about the uneven ground at the camp site if it put it out (drive & low always work regardless). Purchased a 52 manual down there as well & it has alot more info than the 53. Any ideas, I'm all ears!!

Thanks , Les

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 53and61

Les,

My '53 had the same symptoms, including the shudder and the shifting into low to get reverse to work. The problem was the thrust pad. The impulse of shifting into low moved the power train on the frame enough to change the position of the lever on the transmission rear housing. I realize you've checked yours, but is it possible that the mounting bolts are loose even though the pad is good? Also, even if the shift mechanism is properly adjusted, if pivot points are worn the resulting play will prevent the adjustment from being stable. Good luck, and please let us know if you find the solution.