Need help replacing alternator on 91 Regal w/3.8

Guest Roadmaster

Guest Roadmaster

I need some assistance. My son needs to replace the alternator on his 91 GS Regal w/3800 engine. Can anyone tell me the step by step instructions? I assume 1st is to disconnect the battery. Remove the plastic overflow container next. My real question is how does the belt get removed? Do you push up or down on the tensioner (spring loaded?) and do you need to hold it until enough slack is in belt to slip off the alternator? Looks like 2 bolts on each side and of course unplug the wire connector. Do I need to loosen and remove the center nut and then it will come out? Once new alternator is in and bolted back on and connected, how is the belt put back on and the tension correct? I know for some these are dumb questions but I'm used to working on older cars and have never dealt with a tensioner. Thanks for all help provided.

It should be a ten minute job if it sits right on top like all that I have seen. Disconnect battery ground wire. Use an 18mm (I think)socket or wrench on the nut in the center of the tensioner wheel to release tension and slip the belt off the alternator. Disconnect the plug on the top and the hot wire from the rear of the alternator. Remove the two bolts at the front and rear of the alternator and it should lift straight up. Assembly is the reverse, and the only thing to watch for is all of the grooves on the belt line up with all of the pulleys. Look carefully at all of them with a light, they won't self align on start up. The tensioner will adjust the belt tension automatically. While the belt is loose, feel the tensioner pulley to see that it doesn't wobble and rotates smoothly.