Air Conditioning, How cold is yours?

Hi all,<BR> My AC has never seemed to cool the Reatta as efficently as it should. I live near Atlanta, GA and as you know our heat get up into the 90's on a regular basis. I would think the small passanger compartment of the Reatta should get very cold with only little effort from the AC. <BR> I am curious as to how well your AC works, ie: outside temp and inside temp.<BR> Thanks for the help,<P>------------------<BR>Jim

It's been rather hot and humid also in northeast Florida. Depending on circumstances, the outside temperature reads anything from 80 to 105 degrees. For example, two or more hours mid-afternoon in the direct sunlight(hot hot(105) and instant sweat when entering the compartment, with max cool(65 degrees) I am able to get the interior down to 70 degrees in just under 10 minutes. I have my A/C serviced each and every year. It takes me a bit longer to dry out....(1989 Coupe)<p>[This message has been edited by matthewlawe (edited 07-24-2000).]

When I first got the car, the AC was STRONG and always cooled the car more than I would ever need.<P>I had to have the compressor replaced twice. After the 2nd time, the thing never worked as well. It was spewing out 68 degree air and the guy at the dealer said that was standard. But I could tell the difference. It was never the same.<P>I've been told that Buick is offering lifetime warranties on the AC compressors now (started 2 months after the first replacement, so of course, I had to pay for the 2nd one). Anyway, you may want to take it to an independent dealer (do you have "Ice Cold Air" outlets in GA, they're everywhere here in Florida? They do good work.<P>

Guest wally888

My 89 ,located in mid. Ga., suffers from a warm interior.My fan speed seems to be the same,except when on low, in all settings.Several 90's I've driven + a 91 I owned seemed to have a higher air flow w/ the fan on high setting.Out let air temp is in the low 40's.<BR> Having had 2 door actuator failures I have learned the proper door positions,(set by computer routeing of Vac. press. to doors has a great effect on the efficiency)<BR> If recirculation door is constantly letting in outside air-hard to cool down.<BR> If up/ down door is stuck open poor effiency<BR> If a/c / Defrost door is stuck or has bad actuator you only get air out defrostor.<BR> I'm sure some of the experts can correct some of above or add to it!<P>------------------<BR>Definition of an expert: An ordinary guy called in from out of town!

Down here in the Tampa Bay area it does get HOT & HUMID. I have had the thermometer read as high as 111 when I get in my '89 in the afternoon. It is sweltering, but the A/C is set on auto @ 73 degrees and within 10 minutes, the fan has reduced speed and the inside temp is under control. So far I have no complaints with the A/C. Hope you get your under control. It is a survivability requirement in the south!

If your air conditioner is the original R12 style it should be cooling very well and quickly even in above 100 temps. I say this with some experience. I have two '89 Reattas, one with the original R12 and another one with a new R134 system. The new system never gets as cool as the original. I am told that this is because the evaporator behind the dash is not replace with the conversion and the new R134 does not get nearly as cold as the old R12. This is compensated for in the new cars by having a much larger evaporator behind the dash in the new R134 cars. I can surely tell the difference between my cars. Just holding my had in front of the vents I can feel the difference. But even with the new unit after a few minutes it is comfortable in 100 degree temps. On the other hand, my old unit will have you freezing in a few minutes if you set the temp too low. I usually keep both on "automatic" and set at 73. It just takes the new unit longer to get down there.

Hello Jim! I am in Knoxville, just above Hotlanta, and it swelters here in the Summertime with very high humidity. I have an '88 coupe without any window tinting and my A/C works just fine and keeps me cool after about 4-5 minutes of driving. My car has the original R-12 but has had service from the dealer this April '00. Had to have compressor shaft seal, evacuate & recharge. Other than that nothing since 1988. Dealer Labor was $137.50 #2724319 seal kit, #1050121 freon $35.60. Good Luck.

I just had mine re-charged last week, I'm still using Freon, as long as I can. I think it works better and quicker. R-134a systems work well, but not quite as well as the original factory stuff. With a fresh charge, mine blows out air of 34 degrees. If it's 90 outside, I'm cold in less than 10 minutes, the defogger actually created frost on the inside of the windshield the other day.

I'll trade with you Reatt!! smile.gif<BR>Jim, I live here in muggy, musty, & humid Baltimore, MD. Temps here run the gambit from uncomfortable to downright rediculous, mostly due to the humidity. When the sun is up, and she's parked in it, I've had the thermo read as high as 108degrees outside. From a cold engine, she cools the car within about 10minutes, but will only get cold when out of direct sunlight. This may be related to the overheating prob I have, though or the lack of tinting on that (virtually complete) glass top they come with. Otherwise, you DON'T want to leave the AC on "Auto" with the temp low. She'll freeze you out of there! grin.gif