Headlight Switch - 1991

Dan45242

Trying to help out a friend fix her car, I removed the headlight switch assembly today hoping to fix the dimmer slider that has broken. Two round brass pieces and two "T" shaped contacts went flying when I took it apart so it looks like we will need a new assembly. Only the plastic "slider" on the dimmer is broken. The car has Twilight Sentinel.

The part number on the assembly is 3523603. When I price this it says it fits a 1990 Riviera and costs $91. When look it up based upon the car the price jumps to $250. Does anyone know if the 3523603 will still work OK or is there a used or rebuilt one available somewhere? Does anyone know how this goes back together or can offer some advice?

Many thanks,

you might want to check the part number again, just in case. the 1990 Riviera and the 1991 Reatta would use the same switch. I tried to put in the part number you have listed on the gmpartsdirectdirect.com site, and it comes up no part number found. I can't help but believe it is still available.

for anyone else who has a 1990 (ONLY) Reatta, you might want to buy an extra headlight switch while they are still available. they are GM part number 3523605, and are about $80 each from gmpartsdirect.com, plus shipping/handling. list is about $160.

an extreme word of caution about trying to put a broken switch back together: a fire is an extreme possibility. we have had two customers attempt this: one in Hawaii ended up losing the entire car to a fire from the switch, and the other here in Arizona had all the headlight switch wiring catch on fire.

the 1991 switch will NOT work in a 1990 Reatta. the 1991 Reatta moved the fog lamp switch to the center console, while the 1990 had the fog lamp switch integrated with the light switch. the 1991 Reatta is the only year Reatta which had twilight sentinel.

Mike

The '90s do have the fog light switch as part of the assembly and the '91s do not. When taking apart the '90 switches I always operate the fog switch to the "on" position. In the "on" position it is less likely to fall apart. There are quite a few small parts in the '90-91 switches and it is likely some of them may now be missing. If you cannot get it back together I do have a good '91 switch available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Guest F14CRAZY

Mike: by Twilight Sentinel, do you mean that the 1991 system would popup and turn on the headlights by itself?

Mike,

Thank you so much for your help. The part number is clearly visible as 3523603. I found it at http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214079&referrerid=1500268. Is this a reputable source?

The car is definitely a 1991 and the fog lamp switch is elsewhere. This assemble contains the headlamp and parking light switches, plus the two slide dimmers, one for the dash lights, the other for the Twilight Sentinel.

Thanks again,

Dan