lincoln V/12 /Caddy conversion

Dude, I wish I could help you but many folks around here (I don't) kinda see that car as an abonination of a hallowed car and might not answer even if they knew. Same would go for era Studillac or Fordillac conversions. tongue.gif

Guest BillP

Stingray2063,

Contrary to the small opinion as voiced above, I reckon your car would offer an interesting bit of automotive history to many people here, as would information on other early mid-fifties conversions to the then-new overhead valve Cadillac and Oldsmobile engines.

The '49 to '51 Ford sedans and the Loewy Studebaker coupes were popular recipients of these engines and as many know, a small cottage industry sprang up to provide technical assistance and complete conversions.

The Lincoln to Cadillac conversion would have been a natural as the V-12's reputation suffered in comparison to the new engines.

Is this the Bill Frick of racing fame?

Guest De Soto Frank

Don't know about Frick (other than steam traction engines grin.gif ), but there were a pair of bothers named "Funck" (spelling?) who offered conversion kits to install Ford V-8 engines in N-model Ford-Ferguson tractors in the 1940's -'50s...

Perhaps there's a connection there ?

Apparently the late Lincoln V-12's had some weaknesses...one of my uncles had a '39 Zephyr who's 12 had been replaced by a flatty Ford V-8. I believe the car was last running in the early '70s.

Hope somebody comes through for you!

cool.gif

My mother owns Mrs. P.K. Wrigley's 1942 Continental coupe. At the time we purchased it (1972), it had a Cadillac V8 in it that Andy Granitelli installed in his speed shop in Chicago. It was bolted to the standard Lincoln 3-speed transmission, but I don't recall if there was any sort of adapter. It has since been restored with the authentic V12. (Nowhere near as fun as when the Cadillac V8 was in it. When I was 15 years old, I got my first speeding ticket in that car with the V8, doing 65mph in a 55 zone near Tomah, Wisconsin. It was very hard holding that car down to 65 even.)

Guest BillP

"Hard holding that car down to 65."

Went to a dinner last year, the featured speaker was NASCAR driver Mark Martin, he seemed like a real nice guy. He said in his earlier days he used to get stopped for speeding ALL the time. Then he figured what caused it.....