please help!! (394 timing cover trouble)

jaron

i took the 394 ultra high compression sky rocket (casting no. 585786) out of my 63 olds 98 to rebuild, but i ended up buying a new block casting no. 582813 and am now in the process of rebuilding it. but now i have problem- the original aluminum timing cover does not fit the new block!! does anyone know anything about what the difference might be, and how to find the right timing cover?

need it real bad!! please help! [color:\\"red\\"] [color:\\"black\\"]

Guest Blownolds

You will have to locate and pick up an earlier cast iron timing cover AND round water pump. You'll also have to use the timing cover seal for a '49-62 cover as opposed to the '63-4 seal.

In all actuality, the timing covers all the way back to '49 should bolt on. BUT-- the earlier ones for 303 (and maybe 324) had long timing pointers that will interfere with the large damper of the 394. So make sure you get one with a short pointer. You should be plenty safe with a '58-62 cover. DON'T ask me why the factory used so many casting numbers on these things, I don't know what the other differences might be, if any.

Can I ask why you picked up the earlier block? Was your '63 engine non-rebuildable?

There are other differences in the other years of 394's as well. Did you just get the bare block and want to install your other reciprocating assembly? There might be trouble with that (there are differences in main bearing widths and cranks). Or did you pick up an entire shortblock? Or a longblock with heads?

It's not like all 394's are exactly the same, and you could invite some inconveniences for yourself. For instance, if you got a 394 with the dipstick on the other side and you only have the '63 pan, then you will have to look for the other pan, etc. etc.

Where are you located?

Thank you very much for getting back with me. well, as to the block, it was rebuildable, but i saved about $350 buying one off ebay already machined and ready to go from a machine shop. it came with crank, heads, new pistons on rods, and the oil pan, so i figured i was doin' alright. i actually didn't know it was an earlier block until i tried to install the timing cover. i went ahead and bought a whole '63 rebuild kit from kanter, and it comes with two seals, so maybe it is a generic 394 kit.

As for the casting numbers, i didn't even pay attention to them until i did a little research on 442.com, but i always did wonder why my block was red, and the new one was green! also the oil pan has a filter size protrusion from the side (for an extra quart of oil i suppose). but the pistons are the same so i think that the compression is the same, unless the heads are different. my original engine is supposed to be "ultra high compression", but according to my shop manual from detroitiron.com it isn't the starfire engine.

Anyway i am hoping everything else will work (do you think my new 63 camshaft is okay?).

I put an ad out for a 59-62 timing cover already, but if you know of any, i would appreciate the leads. oh yea, and i am in alaska. not to many parts up here. have to get everything from out of state.

again, thanks for your info,

jaron

Guest Blownolds

AK, huh. That's got to make it tough. Shipping ain't cheap to that place.

OK... some more things you can run into:

The 394 blocks up to 1960 used a 4-bolt oil filter flange (and I am guessing perhaps an early-style oil filter canister?????) and the later ones (I think starting in '61?) use a three-bolt oil filter flange with a spin-on filter. I have HEARD that the later 3-bolt flange will bolt up and work with the earlier blocks but not vis-versa. I cannot confirm. So you will want to check this.

The '59-60 #18 heads use a different exhaust bolt pattern, so you will want to use '61-up #20 and #23 heads along with your original exhaust manifolds to make for an easier installation in your car if it is '61-up.

I do NOT know if you will have any problems with the dipstick being on one side or the other, other than fitting the oil pan. I don't know if there is any interference with exhaust, etc. You'll have to check. But you WILL have to use the oil pan that has the dipstick that is on the same side as your block.

You WILL have to use the bearing set and the crank shaft that is proper for your year of block!!! There are three different bearing sets, and the cranks are different in that regard as well!!

If you wind up using a '61-4 head on a '59-60 block, you must use the '61-4 head gasket. In other words, use the head gasket for the application of your head, not the block. This is because of the way GM ran the oil passage from the block to the head (where it then goes up to the rockers).

Guest Blownolds

Oh yes, one more thing if I haven't already mentioned it. Use a neoprene rear main seal. If you don't have one, get one from Tom Joyce at Joyce Brothers Restorations (twjoyce on this board).

whew! sounds like i got into a mess! is there anyway i can find out exactly what year my block, heads, and crank are? i have no history behind them so all i have to go on are casting numbers. in fact, i already cluelessly put in my crank and camshaft with my 63 rebuild kit. now i need to find out if the bearings are wrong for the block. i located a couple of timing covers, but apparently there are two different timing pointer lengths, and i'm not sure which one i need for my balancer. if i could figure out what year my new engine is that would be a good start.

jaron

Guest Blownolds

It MIGHT be possible to install different bearings in different blocks. I think Hollander's alluded to that. So don't panic yet. Just make sure that the bearings are proper for your crank at the very least.

Perhaps someone else can answer the question as to whether or not a later 394 Olds main bearing set and crank will work just fine in an earlier 394 block??

You will want the little stubby pointer. Not the long one.

If you like, i can sell you a '62 394 timing cover for $10 plus shipping from SoCal 9though it's a bit heavy, shipping might be a little high unless I can slip it inside of a Flat Rate Priority box for $7.70...

E-mail me at blown394olds@yahoo.com