buick skylark - backfire/performance questions

clutch

I recently had a rebuilt motor installed in my 68 skylark. (350 v8) I have a holley 650 carb in the car with the original motor. the original motor had been rebuilt and had a pretty aggressive cam installed. we went with a slightly larger then stock cam in the rebuild.

the car sat for quite a while before the rebuild and about 3 months after.

i ran the car dry and put fresh/new gas in it.

the car starts instantly.. no problems. i'm not getting any colored smoke (white/grey/black) out of the exhaust. just basic engine exhaust.

after letting the car warm up properly.. if i try to get on it any the car responds ok at first (not like it should.. but ok) and quickly starts to bog down.. if i stay on it i'll get some backfiring and a 'chug chug chug' acceleration. If I do about a 1/2 pedal.. i can get quick accel.. and no problems.

the car still has points/original type ignition.

where would you start in troubleshooting this problem? I've worked on bikes in the past.. so my first instinct is the carb.. feels like it's running too rich. the plugs should all be new from the rebuild (same with the points) but honestly I haven't checked either. I want to upgrade to electronic ignition.. should i just do that anyway?

if i were to replace the carb with a new carb.. what would you recommend? basically stock motor (slight overbore / slightly larger then stock cam) / headers & dual exhaust. Is there a carb that I can install with this config and not have to worry about jetting/etc?

Sorry for being semi-clueless.. i'm new to working on cars but i'm trying to learn.

thanks!

(also.. looking for a reasonable paint guy in the ohio area)

admin@haste.net