1987 Buick 3.8

I am the proud owner of a 1987 Buick Century Limited. It has a 3.8 V-6 w/ Sequential multiport fuel injection. It can hold it's own with most stock v-6 engines, but I am interested in adding performance parts to reach it's full potenial. I have heard of the successes of the Grand National and Regal-T of this year and would love to join the ranks. I don't know much about this conversion, or if it is worth it to put into my Century. I would appreciate any info or opinions. Thanks. null

One key item you need to address--the transaxle and it's torque capacity.<P>In a short feature in one of the high performance Pontiac magazines about 2 years ago, a guy stuffed a TBI Chevy 350 V-8 pickup truck motor into his Pontiac 6000 (A-body front wheel drive) and used the original transaxle, but with massive fluid flow modifications and custom made front drive axles. It DID fit, but the cost of doing the transaxle modifications alone probably exceeded the price value of the car itself.<P>Don't forget about brake and suspension upgrades too, to better support the increased performance capabilities of the upgraded engine!<P>Instead of looking at the rear wheel drive Regals, you probably need to look closer at the current front wheel drive Regals for modification ideas. Most of the performance items are listed for the similar Pontiac Grand Prix (which has a 110.5" wheelbase instead of the 109" wheelbase of the current Regals). Also, don't forget to get the complete computer and harness if you get a different engine for the vehicle too--most local emissions standards are written with the dialogue that the standards for modified vehicles are "for the newest year model, either the engine or the vehicle"--meaning that a 1987 car with a 2002 engine would need to meet 2002 emissions test standards, for example.<P>Air intake box modifications/replacements plus a cat-back exhaust system would be good starts as would an upgraded computer chip. Those would be the good basic starting points that will support later deals.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467