silvering plastic

I've got a few old center caps/hubcap inserts that have the silver flaking off the back of the plastic inserts. I've been trying to come up with a way to restore them. Just for grins, I painted the back of one with chrome paint, but it looks like primer gray when looking through the plastic (although the painted side looks good enough).<P>Does anybody have any ideas on how I could do this?<P>Thanks.

Guest trevor ward

I have also had this problem to a degree, and am also at a loss as to what can duplicate the original silver effect confused.gif" border="0 <BR> So come on guys , some one must have an idea???? we live in hope.......<P><BR> <B>'64 LE SABRE......PRETTY MUCH DONE....</B>

most plated plastic is ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene). Check with a hobby forum or hobby shop for somebody that "plates" (it's not the same process as for metal) odd pieces for model car folks.

Lots of new car dealerships do this process with gold plate. You may have seen high end cars with their emblems gold plated. It is done by the dealer to the stock silver emblems.<BR> I bet a local dealer could do some plating for you (they make lots of money off it), or they could steer you in the right direction

From what I understand from our sales people, turning the "chrome plated plastic" emblems into "gold" is done with a simple brush on solution with everything still attached to the vehicle. In some cases, there were factory option "gold packages" that had the emblems gold from the factory.<P>In the case of earlier Cadillacs and such, the actual emblems and hood ornaments were removed from the vehicle and plated with "light brass" color plating or whatever. The existing chrome items were removed and exchanged for the replated "gold" items.<P>As for the plastic replating, when Chevy first used a grille with chrome trim on the Berlinetta Camaros, they said it was done with a process called "sputtering" instead of spraying. Not sure what that is.<P>There are several vendors that replate plastic. Many of the chrome instrument panel bezels are waaay tooo shiney compared to their original satiny chrome finish. In the case of the exterior pieces, that might not be a real issue. <P>There are now several vendors that offer this service, but ask around before you send your items off to be done! You might end up loosing them. Seems like there might be something in Eastwood to do this at home?<P>Maybe if you sprayed some clear onto the inside of the part before spraying the silver? Basically paint it backwards, it might look better as the bottom of the paint is being seen as the top.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

I believe the method involves vapor deposition of a thin film under vacuum. Sputtering is not really the same. Not an at home process.<P>Another method would be to use Mylar film. This was and is used on exterior moldings. You can buy a film which is a sandwich of clear polyester, deposited metal film, substrate, and adhesive. This is quite manageable for a do it yourselfer if the part shape is simple.

3M used to have the Mylar tape in their automotive products catalog in varying widths. It would be good to use to restore the various door and interior trim panels it was used on in the '60s and has since peeled off, I suspect. It goes on like pinstripping tape.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467