Help, my special died!!!!

I have a 1965 Special with a 225 V6. Last summer I rebuilt the whole motor and went all out. This summer it decided to not have oil pressure until I spent $200 on a new timing cover. Now, the blinker wasn't working b/c the nylon horn and blinker assembly is broken and glued into a million pieces, so I took it apart to fix it again. I never had any problems doing this before.(which I have done at least 10 times) However, this time the car won't start. I took another ignition switch out of a parts car we had at work, tried jumper wires out of the ignition wiring harness, checked all the fuses, changed the starter, checked the coil and wires and put a bar over the terminals in the starter. None of these things worked. When I put the bar over the terminals, the starter motor cranked but didn't engage the engine. Also, the gearshift seems sloppy and it won't stay in park real well. I was thinking it could be something with the neutral relay switch or something. Someone, please help me!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice, but what do I do to check the safety neutral switch. I know where it is, should I just jumper a wire between the two sides of the connector? Would that override it? Thanks

If your going to bypass the neutral safty switch you should be able to use a FUSE from a newer car. It was an ideal fit - better than jumper wire with alligator clips at the end.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. I had a paper clip sitting on the floor and used that to see if the car would start and voila! I am going to stop tomorrow and get a new switch but for the meantime I just start it and take out the paper clip.

Guest John Chapman

From the What-It's-Worth Department....<P>Two years ago, I had to replace the turn signal assembly and in the process of manipulating the steering column to reassemble it, broke the neutral safety switch. It didn't take much, as the plastic had become worn and brittle. Same symptoms as you have. New switch was about $10 at NAPA. <P>To get the car running in the meantime, I jumpered the switch by fabricating a jumper using two blade connectors which fit perfectly into the wiring harness. Exercise extreme caution when operating like this, as the car will start in gear.<P>Good luck!<P>JMC