1991 White Reatta on the way to second life

kleino

Just thought I would let everyone know I decided to start repairs to my Reatta. Others think I am crazy for spending the money to fix after buying back from insurance company including my family but keep your fingers crossed to the body work and then on to pass inspection after receiving salvage title. This is all a learning experience. I have no other car but making sacrificies till it is all done. Does anyone know where I can find instructions on matching codes for a remote keyless entry of door as I purchased one on ebay and would like to do myself. Remember I am a female and the old one I have the buttons deteriated and I think it will preserve the life of the locks. Thank you all for the help I am receiving to restore my Reatta. Sandy in Ohio

Do you think it should be all repainted since the fender and door is the only thing to be replaced? Will I see the difference? I am particular and now you really have me nervous! Let me know as it is not started yet on the painting part. I will be more careful on pushing remote this time=thanks. Do you know how to program remote?

PROGRAMMING REMOTES:

(Note. A Remote has a permanent setting. The RKE Module on the car can be reset to operate at the command of one or two different Remotes by following these instructions.)

Open the trunk

Detach left side carpet covering EBCM and fender well.

Locate the purple wire with the single green connector. This wire, unattached on one end, has a Green connector at it's end and may be immediately seen upon removal of the carpet or it may be necessary to search for it. Some are attached to the EBCM wire harness and are at the front end of harness, deep in the trunk.

Turn ignition on

Follow instructions and if you have only one Remote, you must use it twice, as Remote #1 and as Remote #2.

Reprogramming Transmitter

(From the Manual)

Before starting this procedure, BOTH transmitters must be preset. Failure to use both transmitters will render the RKE system inoperative. (If the customer uses only one transmitter on the vehicle, use this transmitter as transmitter 1 and 2: This is *NOT* the normal situation.)

The entire reprogramming sequence must be completed within 30 seconds of grounding the reprogramming connecto (Step #2 below). If the procedure is not completed, remove the ground at the connector and restart the procedure from step (1) one.

1. Ignition "ON"

2A. (Reatta hard top) Ground green single wire connector location at Electronic Brake Control Module (clipped to Brake Controller Harness behind trunk left close out panel) - Figure 2 (5).

2B. (Reatta Convertable) Ground single wire connector located at the left tonneau cover hinge on the tonneau body main connector.

2C. (Riviera) Ground green single wire connector located at RKE receive module - Figure 3 (5).

3. Wait for door locks to lock and unlock (Should take two seconds).

4. Press the "Unlock" button on the first transmitter twice (Pause for one second between pauses).

5. Wait for door locks to lock and unlock (Should take two seconds).

6. Press the "Unlock" button on the second transmitter twice (Pause for one second between presses).

7. Wait for door locks to lock and unlock (Should take two seconds).

8. Remove ground from green connector.

After programming sequence is done verify proper operation of all functions on both transmitters. If not proper operation repeat programming procedure or see Section 8A for diagnosis.

General Description

General Notes

Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) is feature which allows for the operation of the door locks, interior lighting and trunk release from outside the vehicle.

The main components of the system are the transmitter (2 per vehicle), receiver module, and the antenna. The transmitter sends a radio signal to the receiver module in response to button presses by the vehicle operator. The receiver module then interprets the signals and activates the required circuitry to provide the requested function.

Functional Operation

The Remote Keyless Entry system will execute the following functions in response to presses of the buttons on the transmitter. The transmitter should be held 15 feet or less from the vehicle for consistent operation.

Pressing the unlock button once will unlock the drivers door, turn on the illuminated entry lights, and disarm the theft system if so equipped.*

Pressing the unlock button a second time within 4.0 seconds will unlock all doors, turn on illuminated entry lighs, and disarm the theft system if so equipped. This function will be disabled if the ignition is on.*

Pressing the lock button will lock all doors.

Pressing the trunk button will unlock the trunk. This feature is disabled if the transmission is not in Park and the ignition is on.

Pressing the illuminated entry buton will turn on the illuminated entry lights. The illuminated entry lights will not turn on if the ignition is on or the car is in daylight.

The Remote Keyless Entry system will automatically perform the following functions if the stated conditions are met:

Central door unlock will unlock all doors if the door key is turned to unlock twice within 4.0 seconds. This feature operates from the drivers door on all vehicles and from the passenger door only on Reattas equipped with universal theft deterrent.

Automatic door locks will lock all doors when the transmission is shifted out of Park, and unlock all doors when the transmission is shifted into Park. This feature only works while the ignition is on and all vehicle doors are closed.

Sandy,

You need someone in your habitat that knows automobiles and that you can trust to advise you.

A reatta has 2 stage paint....a base or color (white) coat and a top or clear coat.

When they refinish your door and fender they will also have to do a procedure(that is if they do it "properly") to the rear quarter (rear fender), the hood, and the left headlight door that they call "blending" (is actually like painting but it is "feathering" the color coat out to where it gets thinner and thinner to where it is super thin or none to about 3/4 of the panel, and then the top or clear coat is sprayed on the entire panel being blended). This is done to fool the eye into believing that the newly re finished surface is the same color as the rest of the car when in fact the rest of the car is actually faded/not a perfect match. This is the "way" that insurance companies get away with doing 1/2 way jobs on accident damage and call it "returning the car to pre-loss condition in terms of appearence and function"*#X@*#%X$&^X). You only had damage to the fender and the door but actually 1/2 of the car will be refinished "in a sense".

Talk to your body shop letting them know that you know about the blending and see what they will charge you to do an all over refinish. Will look much, much, much better and should not be a greeeeat deal more since they already have most of the materials....(well, they would have to buy a couple more quarts) is basically preparing (sanding, masking, preping) the other 1/2 of the vehicle. If I left anything out of this someone correct me please.

Don't let the instructions on setting the remote scare you...is easy...read the instructions several times to acclimate yourself and then....To program 1 remote just do # 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8. if you have 2 remotes to program insert the 6 and 7. I hope you understand all of this. Let us know what you do and good luck smile.gif

Nic