Anyone w/ a 73 brochure ever notice this?

Take a look at page 22. Look closely at the brown Lesabre sedan. Something about it just doesn't look right. It looks like they used a hardtop for the picture and added in the center posts to show a sedan. Also notice the shape of the roofline is that of a hardtop and not a sedan, and there are no upper door frames, just the center posts. Ok, I'm probably the only one ever to notice it, but it really bugs me and I thought I point it out.

Actually many brochures and sales ads are like that. I have a number of '65 Gran Sport pieces that have the new later style grille emblem air brushed in. This particular thing bugs me because my car was one of the first with the smaller emblem and I would like to see them cars. Heck, many of them are not even photos, but drawings! I am sure this was done because they didn't have any production cars made!

Guest Shaffer

I have a 71, 72 and 73 brochure and I have noticed that in the 73 brochure. However, it is not only the Buick brochures. I also have the early 1970s Chevrolet brochures and if I recall correctly, one of those is like that too. Not sure what year brochure. Maybe 1973. Looks like the cars was drawn rather than the actual car. I do not have a 1973 Oldsmobile brochure or Cadillac. I do have the 73 Pontiac brochure and I think they have pictures of the actual cars. If I am not mistaken on this also, I think one year of the early 70s Ford brochure is the same way. I will look and check. I too thought it was odd when I first started seeing how these cars was pictured.

Keep in mind that in order for those brochures to be ready for distribution to the dealers in about September of the year, the vehicles had to have been photographed and the layouts finalized several months prior to that. That would mean they were using pre-production vehicles which might have some "differences" from what actually came down the assembly line. Similar with service manuals too. Hence, some of the air brush "mods" y'all have discovered--not to mention some ill-fitting or slightly different chrome trim. I suspect that if they could do some air brush work to decrease costs and expedite the process (with respect to chrome trim, emblems, etc. that might change on the next year's model which also used the same sheet metal as last year's model) it probably happened.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467 <P>Back in the '60s and thereabouts, I always liked to see pictures instead of drawings of the cars. That was when the Pontiac brochures were all "art drawings" by their famed duo of artists (one of which is still alive, I believe). Looking at them now, I have come to appreciate them for the great car art they are (but I still like the detail in the photographs).