83 Riviera electronic spedometer problem

Does anyone know about electronic spedometers on the 83 Riviera? Mine does not register properly. It seems to read about half of what speed I am going. In reverse, it reads ok. The shop manual is of no help. It says to send it to the special repair shop. Any ideas out there? I don't want my wife to get a speeding ticket. My email is noreastcarnutone@hotmail.com

There are no parts or any internal service information available to the customer or to the car dealers on any electronic clusters. They have to be serviced by a authorized AC<BR>Speedometer dealer as parts and service information is only available to them. If you give me the city you live in I will get you the name address and phone number of the nearest authorized service center. I work in a GM dealership parts department and am familiar with this situation.

Thanks, I live in eastern Massachusetts, in the Gloucester area, northeast of Boston. Can you find a service place with this info?

• 5 weeks later...

To further let you know of my local, I am 40 miles northeast of Boston. Does that help in locating a service facility near me? I appreciate the help

Before condemning the cluster, check the sensors and wiring going to it. The cluster works only on the information it gets just as a computer does--if it doesn't get good data, it can't supply good data.<P>When reinstalling the cluster, make sure you're "grounded" to the vehicle as some of those earlier clusters were very sensitive to static electricity issues. The approved "ground strap" was a conductive wrist band with a coiled lead attached to it to be attached to a good ground on the vehicle. The service literature of the time alluded to the fact that a good static electricity "zap" could "zap" a good cluster and make it a bad cluster. Considering the price of the exchange clusters, it's better to be safe than sorry.<P>NTX5467

I had the cluster on my 1985 Convert rebuilt and they even removed the 85 MPH limit! Casper ELectronics does great work!<BR>Here is the URL: <A HREF="http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?search_request_button=yes&keywords=digital+dash" TARGET=_blank>http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?search_request_button=yes&keywords=digital+dash</A>