starter/generator rear bearing

WA Dave

Guest imported_RAH

Dave,

Specifically what model starter/generator are you trying to find parts for? Given the front bearing of 6205-2RS I would expect the rear bearing to be a 'E-16'. These are not that easy to find, but when you go to your local bearing place make sure to inform tham that this is an angular displacement 'Magneto Bearing'. This is for the Model 'G' type 3554 and the early 'GA' type 3804. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest imported_RAH

DodgeKCL,

OOps, Unfortunately the R-16 is NOT the correct bearing for the rear of the generator. I had the same problem with the local bearing place. As I stated you need to ask for a 'Magneto bearing'. The correct number is, in fact E-16 bearing. It is an angular displacement thrust bearing and not the traditional ball bearing. The overall outer diameter is only about 1 1/4" and the shaft dia.

at the rear is just about 5/8". This from memory as I have not gone out to the shop for exact measurements.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest DodgeKCL

Be that as it may, Ron has several thousand bearings in stock and was very helpful considering he knew he wasn't going to sell anything. If you are lucky enough to live in a place such as I do here in Canada perhaps you will find someone as helpful as I have and as accomodating. Good luck in your search.

• 1 month later...

If I remember correctly, when I did mine there was no bearing available in the proper size that was rated at a high enough rpm. I used a RWB 1623-2RS and had to make a sleeve for the outer dia. of the bearing for it to fit the housing. Since I did that and got rid of the old rear bearing my brushes have had a longer life.

• 1 year later...