71 Riviera Interm Steering Shaft

Hi Guys:<P>I have worn out rubber,exposed grease and a<BR>dangling washer at top of intermediate steering shaft (area below and to the left of master cyl.) Was this a boot or seal that<BR>is part of the shaft itself? What is involved<BR>for repair? Is there a temporary fix to prevent damage until final repair?<P>Thanks in advance:<P>amos walston jr.<BR>BCA #38630<BR>damage

It probably was a rubber boot of sorts. They still used that configuration up into the middle '80s, but the boot was always serviced with the intermediate steering shaft.<P>I suspect that at some time in antiquity, the boot was available separately and you could basically rebuild that joing, but I have not been able to find anything in the old books where there is a part number. The earlier boots had several folds in them whereas the middle-'80s ones were smooth and much shorter.<P>I suspect that there are some somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them yet. I need similar things for my '77 Camaro. I would have figured I would have run across some in the reproduction industry, but none yet.<P>I do have a friend that rebuilds front wheel drive axles. He has a whole load of boots of different sizes and such. I suspect that one will probably work on the steering shaft, but haven't got that far yet.<P>Anyone have any other ideas??<P>NTX5467